Huh?

digitallysane

See below today's CG Channel homepage. Among a Maya review (which sits there since last week) and an eye catching Softimage announcement, there's an article telling that a package called Apprentice HD is sold for 99USD (in the head image). Riry?

post-269-1195294358_thumb.jpg

What does Apprentice HD means for anyone interested in 3D? What does H9 mean for anyone interested in 3D? (for some moths there was a crappy animated web banner on cgchannel and cgtalk promoting some unknown cryptic product named H9).

SESI, wake up and get it: you have one powerful, well known, respected and almost mythical brand:

HOUDINI

That's the name which should be first seen on any advertisement, article or material dealing with Houdini. Cryptic mnemonics made for people who are already using Houdini have absolutely no relevance to the rest of the industry. i think a Houdini logo with 99$ written in big letters would have been much better.

I'm also really eager to see for how long will that announcement stay on CGChannel.

Dragos

ehehehe Dragos don't worry :) SESI don't like this all BIG MARKETING MUMBLE JUMBLE MACHINE, they are rather silent and normal :)

I agree with Dragos.

Big marketing and calling a spade a spade is a different type of game.

Georg

ehehehe Dragos don't worry :) SESI don't like this all BIG MARKETING MUMBLE JUMBLE MACHINE, they are rather silent and normal :)

Putting the name of your product so that people instantly identify it is not big marketing mumble jumble, just professional. *Not* putting it is neither "silent" nor "normal" but suicidal.

Dragos

Dragos,

Thanks for your concern but when it comes to the press we don't always have control. The image used by CG channel is the image from the website. On the website it says Apprentice HD instead of Houdini Apprentice HD because Houdini is in the top corner of the website and it gets a bit much if we repeat it over and over.

We had a clean version of the tin cup image for the press but CG channel often takes the initiative and grabs what they can find on the website. Luckily the title of the article is Houdini Apprentice HD and it is great to see that of the three articles ours was the only one that was not restricted to 30 days.

One interesting note is that often when I post an article on a forum such as CG talk and I say "Houdini...." the hits are often less than if I say something like "Free learning software" or "new autorigging tutorials." Houdini is still often seen as focused solely on high-end film effects and people don't see the point of reading further. This is one of the goals of our new UI, recent re-pricing to $7.995 for Master and Apprentice HD for $99. If we can make Houdini news relevant for a larger group of artists then we can blast the logo out there a bit more. For now not seeing the Houdini logo up front will likely get us more click throughs because people will think it is something completely new.

This has of course been the logic behind the H9 campaign which has led to an increase of traffic to our website and downloads of Apprentice. Houdini has been seen as something inaccessible to the average 3D artist and we are working hard to make it clear that things have changed. The banner ad that we had on 3D buzz actually led to a forum discussion which is something I have never seen before. Whether everyone liked it or not, it did garner discussion and by proxy led people to our website.

Robert

We had a clean version of the tin cup image for the press but CG channel often takes the initiative and grabs what they can find on the website.

Then my first remark is unfounded and I apologize for accusing SESI. I personally sent emails some time ago to CG channel because they were ignoring Houdini news. Seems they have become too enthusiastic since then, which is good. But, maybe, if they had some press kit sent the day Apprentice HD was launched, the announcement would have looked better :) I'm generally noticing a great delay between the time some Houdini event take place and the time news about those appeared (like when H9 went public beta). Speaking of which, it would be great for Houdini's image if the Press section of the SESI website would contain a Press Downloads section, with logos and artworks for any site / magazine which feels the urge to write about Houdini.

For now not seeing the Houdini logo up front will likely get us more click throughs because people will think it is something completely new.

I completely disagree on this one. First, SESI doesn't have to be ashamed of their powerful brand/product. Second, Houdini is famous for it's power and wanted by many, but assumed to be too expensive. Now, if you put a Houdini logo with 99$ besides, I don't believe this doesn't attract visitors. Even if people don't click, there's an instant message that has been trasmitted and maybe retained.

The banner ad that we had on 3D buzz actually led to a forum discussion which is something I have never seen before. Whether everyone liked it or not, it did garner discussion and by proxy led people to our website.

I am very glad that happened. I am also sure that if on that banner instead of H9 it would have been written "Houdini 9", the results would have been even more impressive. In all the H9 campaign the word Houdini never appeared, only the abbreviation H9. I can't imagine that being a good thing.

It personally happened to me one day when I wore the H9 T-shirt. Both my gf and a friend asked me in a 2 hour interval "what's that T-shirt about?". When I replied "Houdini", the answer was the same: "Then why it doesn't write Houdini on it?"

Dragos

Then my first remark is unfounded and I apologize for accusing SESI. I personally sent emails some time ago to CG channel because they were ignoring Houdini news. Seems they have become too enthusiastic since then, which is good. But, maybe, if they had some press kit sent the day Apprentice HD was launched, the announcement would have looked better :) I'm generally noticing a great delay between the time some Houdini event take place and the time news about those appeared (like when H9 went public beta). Speaking of which, it would be great for Houdini's image if the Press section of the SESI website would contain a Press Downloads section, with logos and artworks for any site / magazine which feels the urge to write about Houdini.

Actually CG Channel was very accommodating. I don't know if you have noticed but there are three news slots at the top of the CG Channel page that get replaced throughout the week. If new news comes in then these get bumped down to the bottom right corner and then off the page althogether. Therefore the best time for news to get posted on CG Channel is late Friday because then it stays posted for the whole weekend when many CG artists are surfing. Our hits are best in this circumstance and CG Channel posted the article on Friday as requested.

Having the news hit the streets over a week instead of all at one time is helpful for us because it spreads out hits to our website and prevents slowdowns. The Houdini community is always so enthusiastic about our news that the first day is always quite heavy. It works out best if the community gets the first chance then the larger CG community chimes in later. Someday we may get our site set up where no delays occur at all but for now it helps to manage this a bit.

Thanks for advice on the press section. That is a good idea that we can set up to help get the logo out there more.

I completely disagree on this one. First, SESI doesn't have to be ashamed of their powerful brand/product. Second, Houdini is famous for it's power and wanted by many, but assumed to be too expensive. Now, if you put a Houdini logo with 99$ besides, I don't believe this doesn't attract visitors. Even if people don't click, there's an instant message that has been trasmitted and maybe retained.

We are in no way ashamed about the brand. This is just a reality based on research. I have analyzed hits and reactions to all of our news over the last five years and many people just assume that Houdini news doesn't apply to them and don't read our news. They know of Houdini as great software but assume it is out of their reach. Therefore we get more hits when we focus on a topic that interests artists at which time artists can learn that Houdini has a role for them. In this case, "Starving Artist Edition" and "No Watermark" are getting people's attention and the bonus is that Houdini is the actual software.

I am very glad that happened. I am also sure that if on that banner instead of H9 it would have been written "Houdini 9", the results would have been even more impressive. In all the H9 campaign the word Houdini never appeared, only the abbreviation H9. I can't imagine that being a good thing. It personally happened to me one day when I wore the H9 T-shirt. Both my gf and a friend asked me in a 2 hour interval "what's that T-shirt about?". When I replied "Houdini", the answer was the same: "Then why it doesn't write Houdini on it?"

This campaign was designed to get exactly that reaction - someone thinks "what is this about" and then choose to click on the ad or ask the person with the tshirt. This creates a commitment to the idea that isn't there if they simply ignore something they don't think applies to them. This campaign has had a better reaction than other campaigns that have focused specifically on the Houdini brand.

I love that you are discussing all of this and appreciate that you care about Houdini's success. We are having fun trying out some new marketing ideas and have been pleased with the reaction from people who have never considered Houdini in the past. Of course, the best marketing for Houdini continues to be word of mouth and we have everyone in this community to thank for helping to build up the reputation that Houdini enjoys today.

hmmm.... not exactly but you gave an idea, maybe SESI should change it name from Houdini to somethin else

We did consider this but the Houdini brand does have a great reputation and recognition factor that we didn't want to lose. The idea with H9 was to put a stake in the ground that things are different and once we have a bigger audience understanding that Houdini is more accessible than ever the Houdini brand will become an attraction for everyone.

Robert

I think, if you don't get a press release with material - the regular procedure is to request the permission to use the material. Most companies are happy, when you bring news about products and give the permission. When you work in the "press the button to publish"-business (aka online), you are sometimes in a hurry and then you use material from the webpage. I think it was not intended - more nonsensitive.

A press section is a good idea, but not so important. If you write a mail and you request material - you get mostly help. My experience with "on request" and SideFX is very good in the past. A few companies wont have the material on the webpage - a lot software-pirates use the boxhshots or logos for there "products".