Ramp Control For Hda

pclaes

Hi,

Is there any way to get the same kind of ramp control as in a color pop onto the controls of a hda?

example: colors change over the lifespan of some particles. I want to make the color ramp part of the controls the user has to manipulate the hda.

The object hierarchy is something like: /obj/geo1/popnet1/color1

It seems to be impossible to add this type of control from the list of parameters or to transfer it from the color pop itself inside the operator type properties.

cheers

perhaps the Houdini user community could band together and keep requesting this, as it would make Houdini even more awesome.

Can't the new multiparm and a - I think its called - color-spline-vex-thing combined to create ramp?

Or some fancy chops/cops combination? The visual feedback would still missing, though.

Georg

• 4 months later...

Bump. I just ran into this, trying to put together the ultimate firework OTL. I want a color ramp just like the Color POP available at the subnet or object level, without having to jump through a bunch of hoops to provide the same functionality to the user at the expense of making it completely counterintuitive. Something tells me this is why they squirreled the fireworks demo OTL away as a POP asset instead of a subnet or object type.

So now I get to maintain several unlocked assets. Joy.

I think part of the problem is that the color POP's ramp layout was unique to POPs, always has been, and doesn't lend itself well to implementation anywhere else. Stupid me, I figured by 9.1 they'd have this sorted out. Of course, it was 1999 the last time I had to do anything like this.

Here's to .cmd files.

another idea would be to use 3 channels as HSV, then convert them to RGB in vops within the asset. for the HSV channels, use chf() to access curves in the curve editor. Once again, you don't get the visual feedback, but the functionality is kind of there.

Though, there must be a python expert here... could it be whipped up in python somehow?

Bump. I just ran into this, trying to put together the ultimate firework OTL. I want a color ramp just like the Color POP available at the subnet or object level, without having to jump through a bunch of hoops to provide the same functionality to the user at the expense of making it completely counterintuitive. Something tells me this is why they squirreled the fireworks demo OTL away as a POP asset instead of a subnet or object type.

So now I get to maintain several unlocked assets. Joy.

I think part of the problem is that the color POP's ramp layout was unique to POPs, always has been, and doesn't lend itself well to implementation anywhere else. Stupid me, I figured by 9.1 they'd have this sorted out. Of course, it was 1999 the last time I had to do anything like this.

Here's to .cmd files.

Edited by joshjordan

another idea would be to use 3 channels as HSV, then convert them to RGB in vops within the asset. for the HSV channels, use chf() to access curves in the curve editor. Once again, you don't get the visual feedback, but the functionality is kind of there.

Though, there must be a python expert here... could it be whipped up in python somehow?

Curves are working ok, I just did it over the week for a slightly different thing (controlling particle attributes from the asset interface through "ramps"). Slight problem was that I couldn't figure out (I don't think it's possible in 8.2 anyways) how to store a curve as a default for my asset, so I ended up storing my animation curves on a dummy node inside the asset and deploy them with "chcp" on creation/on user request (button).

There's an option on the first tab of the Type Properties window that says something like whether to save initial parameter values as defaults. If that is enabled, then any channels/values on the top-level parameters are also saved in the HDA.

I thought about going down the hsv()/chf() alley too, but it's really all about the visual feedback. it's a nitpick, but it's a lot more intuitive if I can just look at a color spectrum and set keys in it. I guess I could also half-ass it with hudsliders to get the color feedback (we used them as VU meters in another project), but that's far more trouble than it's worth for a Thursday delivery.

As for python, can you really do hardcore GUI stuff with it in Houdini? Because if that's the case, then it's time to let slip the dogs.

In the end I solved mine through chops and cops.

I made it in cops first with 2 values, rather basic, then with 5 values, a bit more control.

And then through an animation curve in chops, most amount of control, but a bit harder to visualise.

The tool I used it for comes as a bonus for this dvd (which should be released any time soon, but people have been waiting for a long time already so I can't say for sure.):

http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=164688

It is a shame there is no control there, I had to work around it as well. The animation curve does give you a lot of flexibility and control, just not as user friendly as a ramp like in Maya or photoshop.

good luck!

If its possible, I hope whoever makes it doesn't require external modules. I still haven't gotten any external modules to successfully install and import in the win 64 version of houdini...

As for python, can you really do hardcore GUI stuff with it in Houdini? Because if that's the case, then it's time to let slip the dogs.