Distance Tool

GallenWolf

Hey all!

Just finished off a 3ds project (omg windows), and I should have the next few weeks off - Houdini time!!! Was playing around with the DOF in Mantra, and created a quick HDA for calculating distance between objects. Maybe there is already a tool like that inside Houdini and I missed it? :angry:

PS: I'm encountering the spare parameters bug with this file, please bear with it :-/

Alvin

distance2.hipnc

Maybe there is already a tool like that inside Houdini and I missed it? :angry:

No, but there should be , that's for sure. A Measure/Distance tool should be a fast interactive like the one in SketchUp, IMHO. Anyhow, nice asset this :) . However, I'd copy the text to the line- and stamp it somewhere along the line so that you can have only part of the line visible and slide the text along it. What might be even a better idea is to create/carve a point off the line, set a new attribute and get the viewport to display the value of this attribute using the new Custom Attribute thing, perhaps?

Here is a hack of something like it. The text is (optionally) at the end points and in the centre of the line somewhere. I use a string attribute for it. The attribute display could be create and turned on and off with onCreate event scripts, etc. :)

post-4-1199121560_thumb.jpg