Animation Clip Cycle With Offset

jwoelper

Hi,

i am currently trying to mimick an animation method often used in maya: I want to animate an object, then loop its animation. The Point is that the object should loop relative to its last postition in the loop (i.e. a character walking on and on instead of flipping back to its starting position).

I tried the cycle chop on a keyframed animation, but this just gives me repeated cycles. Would there be a trick that the cycle starts where it ended?

Thanks

Johann

The very nature of the animation loop is that last position == first position. This way loop is the loop ;). You can of course add some value to a loop's end. For example you could measure distance done by foot and add it to your animation as world transform. I'm not a Maya expert but normally this is how is done. Animation loop is in a local space, then transformation is added in world space. These two join together automatically in every software I know and voila! Hero is walking.

Write more what kind of animation you'd like to do as there may be many possibilities depending on what you're after. You can for example, use a Math CHOP after Circle CHOP to add some value to one of your channels.

hope this helps,

sy.

The only thing you need to do is read the help. On the help card of the Cycle CHOP there is the description of the "Step" parameter:

If set to 1, the next cycle will be shifted in value up or down so that it begins where the last cycle ended. Suitable for root object of walk cycles.

Also, there is the Step Code field which allows you to specify the channels you want to behave like that (the remaining ones will cycle by jumping to the starting position).

Alternatively, you have the cycle() and repeat() channel interpolation functions in the keyframe editor, if you don't want to use CHOPs.

Dragos

The only thing you need to do is read the help. On the help card of the Cycle CHOP there is the description of the "Step" parameter:

If set to 1, the next cycle will be shifted in value up or down so that it begins where the last cycle ended. Suitable for root object of walk cycles.

Also, there is the Step Code field which allows you to specify the channels you want to behave like that (the remaining ones will cycle by jumping to the starting position).

Alternatively, you have the cycle() and repeat() channel interpolation functions in the keyframe editor, if you don't want to use CHOPs.

Dragos

Wow, this is both great and just what I needed! Thanks a million!

I did indeed read the help, but as it seems, not closely enough... sorry for that!

Johann

Edited by jwoelper