Pbr Noise

Hey all,

While working with PBR I just don't get one idea. Why all of the renders are so noisy! I understand increasing pixel samples is the way to go, but to get perfectly smooth surface on the non-textured face I have to set samples to some crazy 40x40 value which makes rendering of the simple cube very very slow. I know that I can smooth things out by using photons, but this only works for secondary bounces. Is there any way I can get smooth PBR renders relatively fast without using photons?

And also do you have any info about further plans of SESI to include irradiance caching in PBR? I'm completely lame in this field, but is it difficult thing to implement?

thanks

kuba

btw i am using micropolygon based PBR.. 32x32 pixel samples; 60 min ray samples; 120 max ray samples

i have no idea if those settings are right or 5% of what they should be ;) (example values would improve the help)

image is less noisy than default .. but still too noisy

Edited by mark

Thanks Mark,

Wow 60 and 120 pixel samples sounds scary, at least for me...I am getting pretty smooth results with 20min and 20 max pixel samples; but using just Physically Based Rendering (not Micropolygon) Not sure but is Micropolygon PBR only recommended with heavy motion blur renders? Otherwise it is much slower then "simple" PBR?

The other thing I really miss with multi-bounce GI in PBR renders is the control of energy of the secondary bounces (I understand that this kind of control may not sounds as 100% physical correct thing, but...) At this point there is only one way I can boost secondary bounces, it is increasing the color of the surface, but this drives the primary bounces as well... Any idea how can it be overcome?

Thanks

kuba

well to be honest i couldn't even really tell you a technical reason for why i'm using PBR and not GI or ambient occlusion :o probably because the setup is simple.. area light and a mantra ROP. i will try plain PBR thanks