pbowmar

Zbrush Normal Maps In Mantra - Done Right?

Hi,

So, after reading this:

http://www.zbrush.info/docs/index.php/Unde...ing_Normal_Maps

I realise that so far I haven't seen a post how to properly use a ZBrush Normal Map in Houdini/Mantra. I may have missed it however :)

All the tutorials and examples I've seen use a Bump Map VOP which is not correct!

The Tangent Space normal map from ZBrush is describing a direction, not just a height which all the Bump Map VOP does. So, the correct way to use it is to put a Fit VOP with From being 0-1 and To being -1 to 1 after loading it in a Texture VOP, then use that into the Lighting Model or whatever you want, to get the "bumpy" effect.

I may put this on the Wiki if I have time, which I don't right now...

Cheers,

Peter B

Hi Edward,

That's what got me started on this quest :) The Wiki correctly covers Displacement maps out of ZBrush but does not cover Normal Maps. There are forum topics here that (incorrectly) state you use a Bump Map VOP to use a Normal map so I wanted to let people know the correct way to deal with Normal Maps. Displacement is the way to go, IMO, and just use the Do Bump toggle if you want a not-real displacement. Oh wait, Mark said to use the Real Displace property didn't he? Well, anyway, just trying to add to the knowledge pool.

Cheers,

Peter B

It's been a while now but I thought this was already on the wiki -- Houdini_and_ZBrush

Well, if you have any example zbrush normal maps with associated low-poly geo, I'd like to take a look.

i can give you a sculpted head model with a generated normal map if you like. but the normal map was generated in mudbox, but i guess thats not causing any problems at all.

let me now if you guys want that file.

cheers

-J

Edited by JDenker

Hi Edward,

I don't right now. And yes, Tangent Space is what you want always out of ZBrush. :)

Cheers,

Peter B

Well, if you have any example zbrush normal maps with associated low-poly geo, I'd like to take a look.