Fuzzy Toolkit: New Fur Software For Houdini Now In Open Beta!

The MSI is supposed to only append to the HOUDINI_PATH and HOUDINI_DSO_PATH variables. Uninstalling is supposed to revert them to their previous state. I haven't tested with those two env vars set to anything before installing. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the MSI uninstall just wipes them. There's not much I can do -- the MSI package doesn't give much control over environment vars.

In the meantime, you can do a custom install and deselect the "Environment" package. This will leave your env vars untouched. You can set them yourself (see fuzzy_toolkit_setup.bat in the installation dir) or run houdini from the "Command Tools" shortcut installed by the package.

As far as I know, there's no way uninstalling fuzzy toolkit will uninstall houdini. I've uninstalled and reinstalled ft countless times while testing the MSI and houdini has never been affected.

My apologies if your computer has asplode.

Linux version coming soon. And from the not-so-subtle rumours flying around the houdini forum, I'll have to support Mac soon, too. :-)

cheers,

-Mark

The problem with this method is that all versions of Houdini get effected, so I have multiple installs of different versions of houdini and they then all try and read dso's that aren't intended for them and throw errors.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with this method is that all versions of Houdini get effected, so I have multiple installs of different versions of houdini and they then all try and read dso's that aren't intended for them and throw errors.

hey i think that's the problem im faceing now.Do you know how to fix it? :unsure:

i cant get this to work. I plug a poly sphere with normals into the Fur (Fuzzy) and set the display flag on it. Then it crashes. Segmentation Fault.

dont know what im doing wrong but am i doing it the right way.

cheers

-andy

bwt way im using, windows xp, houdini 9.173

Edited by phrenzy84

hey i think that's the problem im faceing now.Do you know how to fix it? :unsure:

Uninstall the fur thing then you either have to edit the HOUDINI_PATH and HOUDINI_DSO_PATH to remove the references to the fuzzy toolkit, or delete them if you weren't previously using them.

anyone?

edit://

BINGO! hit the nail on the head. I dont have any of the directories that pete is talking about (below). Im not adding a reply because i dont think this thread needs me as the last response on the General Chat forum again.

wish i had said i was on 32bit from the begining.

Edited by phrenzy84

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ah crap... my development environment is 64-bit, and I didn't notice the 32-bit archive was corrupt.

I'm releasing an update shortly.

cheers,

-Mark

Hi Mark,

The 32bit Linux seems to only have an include dir and a lib dir, no OTLs, Config, OPlibraries etc...

Cheers,

Peter B

my predictions were not wrong! This thing is amazing. Thank you for taking the time to include the demo's because they really showed me the power of this thing. I now feel i have almost complete control over what i am creating.

I think it's time to start/finish that mouse i was creating, and then for the next project.

Thank you so much mark.

It was worth the wait.

-andy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi phrenzy84,

How did you fix the installation problem? I run the "fuzzytoolkit.install" file and use the default directory "[/opt/fuzzytoolkit0.9.17] " to install it. Should I choose some specific folder to install it?

Thanks,

Edited by curveU

but you need to source it, source fuzzytoolkit.bash ...

Make sure you source houdini before you do though.

Unfortunately i cannot get this thing to work with imported geometry. Houdini crashes everytime.

I replicate everything from the brush setup, but it wont work. I know i have everything right but i can only use it on boxes and spheres created ni Houdini. But i make sure it has the exact same attributes that the sphere or box has before going into the Groom node and then the Default Shops, the brush and finally Build.

Any thoughts anyone?

• 2 weeks later...
Unfortunately i cannot get this thing to work with imported geometry. Houdini crashes everytime.

Hey Phrenzy, could you e-mail me a hip file that crashes? Please send it to mark@orthonormalsoftware.com

cheers,

-Mark

• 2 months later...

Hi Markv I love the work that you did for the Furkit but I would like to see the vex code for the shader I want to use the latest cvex with your vex fur shader. Can you please tell me so that i can put few more improvements on top of that?

someone rendered out using ur fur system..

http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?act=at...ost&id=5457

it looks very nice to me so sir pls help me with the vop

pls..