SWANN: Displacment Challenge

Guest Swann

Guest Swann

Hi,

I tried to make double displacement like like in Displacement Challenge but I got some errors (see. picture).

Displacement breaks even in shader view, and in Nurbs I totally lost second layer with dots.

Any advice ? :(

SYmek ? ;)

Mix_Smooth.hipnc

post-3552-1206235129_thumb.jpg

Edited by SWANN

If you're referring to any of the Mantra Re-Dice stuff, there is no way the Shader View can know which ROP you're intending to render with, and therefore not know if you want re-dicing or not. Besides, the Shader View is simpler emulation of the shading part of Mantra - and not the dicing part of Mantra.

I don't have the time to look into your problem tonight myself but I thought I should just blurt that out:)

Guest Swann

Ok, I just played a bit and now i have a little more stable results.

Dots don't disaphere on Nurbs.

I supose that I have to smooth a little pattern sides of first layer if I want to avoid those hard edges ?

post-3552-1206291381_thumb.jpg

Edited by SWANN

Guest Swann

Ok, a little tweaked version :)

I also added glow, but not in Houdini, don't know HOW.

And on second image there is also Depth of Field.

Third image is some shading test, first stage so it's a little washed in some parts and little to dark.

The Rest is a little variation with different texture size.

And there is also my Hip.

Thats all test for now. Time to sleep. Bye.

EDIT: Mantra is much faster than in H8 or it's my computer because I don't remember GI+AREA+DEPTH render so fast ?

EDIT: Render times ? 5-6 minutes But with Volumetrics i grow abot 3-4 times.

-------------

post-3552-1206317391_thumb.jpg

post-3552-1206323805_thumb.jpg

post-3552-1206328081_thumb.jpg

post-3552-1206328508_thumb.jpg

Swanns_Displace__Challenge.hipnc

post-3552-1206368612_thumb.jpg

post-3552-1206369126_thumb.jpg

post-3552-1206371402_thumb.jpg

post-3552-1206371416_thumb.jpg

post-3552-1206376111_thumb.jpg

post-3552-1206408551_thumb.jpg

post-3552-1206408563_thumb.jpg

post-3552-1206408575_thumb.jpg

post-3552-1206408586_thumb.jpg

post-3552-1206408598_thumb.jpg

Edited by SWANN

Ok, a little tweaked version :)

And on second image there is also Depth of Field.

Third image is some shading test, first stage so it's a little washed in some parts and little to dark.

Last image is the firsts picture variation with different texture size.

And there is also my Hip.

Thats all test for now. Time to sleep. Bye.

Nice progress!

As for your hard edges, perhaps Steven is right in this post: use a .rat file. Don't forget that bumping up Shading Quality can significantly improve displacement fidelity too.

Guest Swann
Nice progress!

Don't forget that bumping up Shading Quality can significantly improve displacement fidelity too.

Thanks Jason, but it's only displacement, there are tons of things that i have to learn in Vops yet.

Is there any way to tell the shader " before second displace layer check if there will be interpenetration with first layer and if there is don't displace in this place ?".

So i could crunk up second displacement and avoid those interpenetrations.

Don't forget that bumping up Shading Quality can significantly improve displacement fidelity too.

I will check this.

For those who don't know anything about Displacement Thread, you need apply this texture to my shader to work correctly.

post-3552-1206359565_thumb.jpg

Edited by SWANN

EDIT: Mantra is much faster than in H8 or it's my computer because I don't remember GI+AREA+DEPTH render so fast ?

hi Swann,

Key your render in Cops with Luma Key adjusting Min and Max then color it according to your needs and composite with original footage.

Yes, mantra is much faster in H9. Well, the very nature of progress I suppose ;).

sie masz!

sy.

glow_in_COPs.hipnc

Edited by SYmek

Guest Swann
hi Swann,

Key your render in Cops with Luma Key adjusting Min and Max then color it according to your needs and composite with original footage.

Yes, mantra is much faster in H9. Well, the very nature of progress I suppose ;).

sie masz!

sy.

Nie rozumiem po angielsku ale i tak dziekuje za rade pomimo ze nie wiem co tu jest napisane ;) .

Thanks for advice.

Edited by SWANN

Guest Swann
!? :blink:

I sad that I don't understand English but anyway thanks for advice even if I don' understand what is writen here ;)

Oh my god :o : , did I just write something in english :blink: , so many years I thought that I don't know english :blink: , I have to look into mirror, maybe I even don't know that I'm white :ph34r: oh my god, I'M WHITE NOOOOO

PS. Coz, Buzz powoli chyba dogorywa, miejmy nadzieje ze przynajmniej wypusci serie TD w tym roku :dots: .

Edited by SWANN

I sad that I don't understand English but anyway thanks for advice even if I don' understand what is writen here ;)

So, professing your mysterious sudden amnesia, for your convenience I attached also the example file with glow setup in Halo. :unsure: Next time you forget English, simply ask in Polish.

sy.

Comedic thread, heh heh..

I will check this.

For those who don't know anything about Displacement Thread, you need apply this texture to my shader to work correctly.

Yes, my previous post is trying to save that you must access this image as a .rat format file (convert with icp) - and preferably not converted from a JPG image beforehand because the jpeg compression artifacts will ruin your fidelity.

Guest Swann
Comedic thread, heh heh..

Yes, my previous post is trying to save that you must access this image as a .rat format file (convert with icp) - and preferably not converted from a JPG image beforehand because the jpeg compression artifacts will ruin your fidelity.

I Just dont have time to prepare one myself, now I started to play with hairs.

I'm also digging a little in this trying to remade those in Vops.

Cg Reference

Thanks to Symek and Ptakun it is a little easier.

Cheers.

Edited by SWANN

Guest Swann
So, professing your mysterious sudden amnesia, for your convenience I attached also the example file with glow setup in Halo. :unsure: Next time you forget English, simply ask in Polish.

sy.

OK, BUT if I know :thumbsup: English and I though that I don't :shocking: , SO does this mean that i don't know Polish ? Oh, Man :wacko:

Edited by SWANN

Guest Swann
Basic setup with Paint Displace on Surfaca in VOPs.

cheers,

sy.

I just found the problem <_< . In parameter node I used "cd" instead "Cd". Another hour Lost.

I remember when I fist time played with stamp and DeleteSOP, instead ` ` I used ' '

Edited by SWANN