Mantra/Mplay problem (Solved)

Hi all,

I am all new to Houdini. I am following the tutorials from sidefx website, but i have a problem.

I loaded up a scene - its a simple one: a grid, a few boxes, a sphere and a cone. Then I added (as the tutorial says) an environment light, added a camera and from that icon in the lower left corner i choosed "view mantra".

All i got is a big green surface (every part where is geometry is green) and the rest is black.

I tried different lighs, but the result is same.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Hi,

First of all, welcome to od[force] and Houdini.

What Houdini version, OS and graphics card are you using? When mplay comes up, can you type "a" and do you see the Alpha channel? Also, can you change the colour of the environment light to red and the render should be mostly red. If you're still having issues, type 'd' in mplay to open the Display Options, click on Video Card Options..., select Best Compatibility, close and hit Accept. What do you get?

Please let us know how it goes.

Cheers!

steven

It is Houdini 9, Windows XP SP2, GeForce PCI-E 5750.

When i press "a" all turns black, then i press it again and it turns blue (all blue, just like the green stuff, but blue)

When i change the light color, render is still green. But when I'm going through the channels, or what Houdini calls them

the planes (red, green, blue), "the green" may switch to red/blue (i didnt noticed any rule about this, i think its random - every time different...

When i press "d" and go for Best Compatibility i get the same results...

Ok, so i changed the "Output Picture" in mantra properties to $HIP/$F4.tif first, and when i rendered that, it was all black.

Then i manually renamed it to $HIP/$F4.jpeg (since i dont have it in dropdown menu) and it was rendered ok! It looks just like in the tutorial video.

So, what should i do about this "Mplay"? :)

Hi peja,

Maybe you can try to update your graphics drivers to see if it helps? However, not sure why you can't render out .tifs.

Can you post the specific build here? You can find it in Help menu > About Houdini. If you can, why don't you try to update to Houdini 9.1 and see if it helps with the .tif output?

Cheers!

steven

Ok, so i changed the "Output Picture" in mantra properties to $HIP/$F4.tif first, and when i rendered that, it was all black.

Yeah, you can only render .pic, .rat (both proprietary formats) and .jpg from Apprentice. You have to run a licensed copy of Houdini to render TIFF files, or any other format.

Try 9.1, I think it'll solve a lot of your problems... well, I hope it does:)

Yeah, you can only render .pic, .rat (both proprietary formats) and .jpg from Apprentice. You have to run a licensed copy of Houdini to render TIFF files, or any other format.

Try 9.1, I think it'll solve a lot of your problems... well, I hope it does:)

We have a misunderstanding here I think. Actually, I made a mistake.

I was looking in Output Picture, and there isnt any .jpeg, but in the other dropdown menu, Output Device I can choose

.jpeg, .tiff, .png and few more...

So in MPlay, no matter what extension I choose, I get one-color-image (it is random what color it is as much as I noticed), but if in Output Picture I choose Sequence of .tif files and then manually rename it to Sequence of .jpeg files I get image i want.

I'm currently downloading 9.1 to see if it is ok in that version...

edit: It's still not working...Can this be a hardware problem?

Edited by peja_

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

In mantra properties, under output tab "Quantization" was set to "16 bit float".

After changing it to "32 bit float" I am getting normaln renders in MPlay.

I have no idea what is this all about, I'm just happy its working now :)

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

In mantra properties, under output tab "Quantization" was set to "16 bit float".

After changing it to "32 bit float" I am getting normaln renders in MPlay.

I have no idea what is this all about, I'm just happy its working now :)

Huh, I'm surprised that the Best Compatbility option didn't work then - since it activates the "Display All Images At 8bit" should be the fastest. Perhaps, for some reason, your video card/drivers doesn't like 8bit image planes?! Crazy...

But I'm glad you're up and running... perhaps a better answer will arise some time. I'm going to add a "(Solved)" to this topic title anyway, if you don't mind.