Mesh primitives driven by particles

drakhain

Hello :D,

Right now i'm trying to attach a particle to each face of a mesh and then drive each face motion by using those particles. I saw that there is a way to emit particle directly from the source's primitives's center but i'm stuck with the workflow: i can't figure out how to use them to drive each face. I'm may not be in the good direction neithethelless if anybody has a clue, i'll be rather glad to read it :D.

You can use a point SOP to move each point on the mesh to corresponding particle position. Pipe the mesh node to the first input and the POP node to the second input,

and put a $TX2, $TY2, $TZ2 in the position parameters. You just have to make sure the particles has the same point numbers like the mesh.

agitat3d your file is a good basic example. But...

1. You need to support some initial velocity and harsh forces on your particles. Setting Velocity and Variance to zero and then applying a Fan force which affects Acceleration (takes two time steps before movement) simplifies the situation.

2. If you start to add initial velocities to your points, you need to set the Primitive SOP's Rotate To Template parameter to either "Match Normals" or "On" depending on how you are binding the points.

The example I attached shows how to handle these two conditions quite effectively. Look at how the state POP works to release particles and how the velocities are kept in a state of suspended animation until they are released. This could easily be wrapped up in to a Digital Asset called "Explode Anything".

This technique has been around since PRISMS. The definitive shot using this technique (IMHO) would be the ice fracturing shot in the X-Files movie.

In the past month I helped a user create a race track that builds just-in-time using this technique. Each Primitive face was substituted with geometry archives off of disk and let him get a real good idea in real-time as to the timing of the various pieces.

Lots and lots of possibilities with this technique using the Primitive SOP second template input.