Houdini Export Import to 3dMax

Hi all,

I am trying to export primitive animation from houdini to max as obj seq.

but Max does not support obj seq import I guess..

Is there any other good way to export animation from Houdini and import it to 3DMax??

Thank you very much!

Edited by Jae Yoo

Export OBJ seq, convert to pointcache, import in max first obj file and use pointcache modifaer

Thank you for fast reply.

So, I export as obj sequence at first and I get every single frame as obj format.

How do I convert them to pointcache? in max or houdini?

Thank you.

Edited by Jae Yoo

http://www.sidefx.com/exchange/info.php?fi...p;versionid=389

I couldn't get this to run in windows tho.

The ideal solution to this max<->houdini problem is to program a houdini pointcache exporter (via chops?)

for consistent topologies... And for variable topologies (particles etc.) you will need to program a

.bgeo sequence reader (.dlo) for max that loads quickly (which is a problem, I'm told) and can set the

class of the incoming geometry. For example bringing in points as particles to render them with afterburn.

Neither have been made or are not available to the public as far as I know.

-cpb

http://www.sidefx.com/exchange/info.php?fi...p;versionid=389

I couldn't get this to run in windows tho.

The ideal solution to this max<->houdini problem is to program a houdini pointcache exporter (via chops?)

for consistent topologies... And for variable topologies (particles etc.) you will need to program a

.bgeo sequence reader (.dlo) for max that loads quickly (which is a problem, I'm told) and can set the

class of the incoming geometry. For example bringing in points as particles to render them with afterburn.

Neither have been made or are not available to the public as far as I know.

-cpb

Thank you very much!

It was really helpful!

:D

I have asked a friend of mine to write a proper obj sequence importer for max in maxscript to solve this very issue. Though it's relatively finished, he has not yet decided to post it online (he is in the process of creating his website, finding a job, and doing some personal projects).

The great thing about it is that you can reliably import meshes with changing per-frame point counts, all into a single max object (doesn't use visibility multi-object tricks or the existing point cache system).

One could use any renderer in max for almost any animated houdini scene if need be (afterburn, vray, mental ray in max, etc)

I don't know what his plan is.. though I think he may decide to turn it into a commercial product or a free encrypted maxscript.

Another thing, I modified an existing python example in the houdini help, so now can export .csv files that 3dsmax's Krakatoa plugin can read. If there is interest, I could package that up...

Edited by joshjordan

I modified the "obj_2_pc2.py" to work on win32 with wildcards.

Note that this propably doesn't work on Linux/Unix any more as

it expects the input filename to be in wildcard notation and

not be expanded by the shell.

Here it is, enjoy!

obj_2_pc2.zip

Edited by nnnnn

I used a version by eetu before, I think you should be able to find it if you search the forum. It worked very well.

edit: (sorry that might be an mdd reader I'm thinking of)

Is the Point Cache file working for anyone?

Because I did a simple test export from Houdini

to Max with a teapot obj sequence and

the vertices all go crazy when i load and play

the generated pc2 file.

Edited by joshjordan

• 4 weeks later...