Calculate a bounding box for a set of points

I'm looking for a method which allows to calculate a bounding box of a point cloud. The only one method I see is getBoundingBox() from GU_PointSelection.h But in this case I have to create a point group. Is there any other method which can calculate bounding box using points without groups? Or which method is more streightforward.

P. S. I can give getBoundingBox() the name of point group and it works just fine. But I'm wondering is it possible to say "select all points in gdp please"? Something like wildcard *...

does the bbox() expression not work for you?

you can also plug geometry into a box node and it will make the box the size of the input's bbox.

Hey Hok,

I haven't tried this, but I see a getPointBBox() function implemented in GEO_Detail. Maybe that one works for you.

Ultimately, if everything fails, you could just loop through all points to find the axis-aligned extents and instance your own UT/UT_BoundingBox.

There's also an octree variant for a fixed number of points in UT/UT_PointTree, but if you don't need the hierarchical partitioning then that's likely overkill.

Hey Hok,

I haven't tried this, but I see a getPointBBox() function implemented in GEO_Detail. Maybe that one works for you.

Ultimately, if everything fails, you could just loop through all points to find the axis-aligned extents and instance your own UT/UT_BoundingBox.

There's also an octree variant for a fixed number of points in UT/UT_PointTree, but if you don't need the hierarchical partitioning then that's likely overkill.

Hi Mario,

Thanks, I didn't see this method. Have to take a look. I though about looping through points but if we have something already implemented why not to use it? :)