Z-Depth rather than image plane??

Hi all,

I am rendering snow and camera view is top view.

I used the image plane and pZ to get the Zdepth pass but it seems like I cant see anything..

I thought it was because of it is top view so, I tried with p, but it did not work out either..

Is there any vex shader that It gets more darker or brighter compare to its distance between camera and the particle?

Thanks,

-Jae

Hi all,

I am rendering snow and camera view is top view.

I used the image plane and pZ to get the Zdepth pass but it seems like I cant see anything..

I thought it was because of it is top view so, I tried with p, but it did not work out either..

Is there any vex shader that It gets more darker or brighter compare to its distance between camera and the particle?

Thanks,

-Jae

Make sure you are looking at the Zdepth channel of your image. Also on your extra image plane, make sure your VEX type is float type, (its vector type by default) and you may have to really shift your color range, which is 0 - 1 to something like 10 - 100 in order to see results using and levels COP...(i think)

Make sure you are looking at the Zdepth channel of your image. Also on your extra image plane, make sure your VEX type is float type, (its vector type by default) and you may have to really shift your color range, which is 0 - 1 to something like 10 - 100 in order to see results using and levels COP...(i think)

Hi! I rendered the Zdepth element as separate different files. VEX Type is surely float type.

But what do you mean by shfting the color?

I see only black images on my Zdepth render file..

You mean I have to bring the sequence into COP and adjust the color range?

Thanks,

Hey Jae,

I was having a similar problem, where my zDepth channel didn't appear to display any depth values. I found that if you lower the Gain/White Point in the zDepth image plane in the render options and then render it out and bring it into COPs, you can then wire it into a Levels COP as Spencer said and then lower the value of the second output level until your image begins to show some depth values. I was rendering out single .pic files as opposed to separate images.

As far as I know using Pz from the top view will still display the depth correctly as it appears to compute the z value from the origin of the camera as opposed to World view. Correct me if I'm wrong though as I am pretty new to Houdini.

Cheers,

Sam.