Stairwell WIP

Alanw

I attempted multi-bounce photon based color bleeding. The image below is 5 bounces with roughly 1.5 million photons. It took about 5 mins to render the final frame, but the overall processing and setup time was pretty high.

If anyone's curious about the setup I'd be glad to share.

This is the final point cloud viewed through ptviewer.

room_rad.jpg

The render, which I'm not really that happy with. I'll post more as I go.

gi.jpg

Thanks,

Alan

The walls are lath and plaster. The debri at the base of the stairs is the plaster from the underside of the stairs above.

I'd say the walls are painted, I don't see any paper seams.

Peterr

I have all my UV's mapped now. I'm almost finished collecting texture references as well, so I plan to begin painting my maps soon.

The texture on the walls is the only one that's giving me trouble. It's hard to tell if it's weathered paint over plywood or wallpaper.

I've also been studying different approaches to the rock debris. In the images above I tried meta-balls converted to polys, but after I changed the geometry to Sub D's it looked more like liquid then anything. Then I instanced 5 RIB archives each containing a single rock to groups of my painted points. Each one randomly oriented and scaled a bit. This looked decent, but took too long to render and used up a lot of RAM.

I found a really cool shader today by Peter Stuart that uses bombing to randomly place a bunch of pebbles. This one takes a little bit to render, but it's still faster then my point instancing and I think it looks better. No reason for me to re-invent the wheel.

gravel.jpg

I've changed the lighting model from Lambert diffuse to Oren Nayar, but I plan to experiment with it further. I still think the rocks need to look a bit more "chalky" then they do.

-Alan

Exciting progress Alan!

can someone please upload the peeble shader or just point me to right direction, tried to get it to work but got bunch of error messages, and it renders pure white, i got something like this:

Unknown command: add@FF

Unknown command: noise@FFF

Unknown command: smooth@FFFF

Unknown command: set@FF

..etc

Is this a vex shader or a renderman shader?

thanks in advance

Exciting progress Alan!

can someone please upload the peeble shader or just point me to right direction, tried to get it to work but got bunch of error messages, and it renders pure white, i got something like this:

Unknown command: add@FF

Unknown command: noise@FFF

Unknown command: smooth@FFFF

Unknown command: set@FF

..etc

Is this a vex shader or a renderman shader?

thanks in advance

It looks like you can compile the shader into VEX as long as you include all the necessary headers. Have you tried the HIP file that Peter provides on his site?

• 1 month later...

Here's an update on my stairwell. There's still a few things that bother me in regards to the textures and modeling, but I think I'm ready to move on. I'm still pretty new to Houdini and prman so it was a learning experience at least. If anyone has any ideas on how to make it better or questions please let me know.

Thanks!

here's my passes that I composited.

passes.png

and the comp.

room_comp.png

• 3 weeks later...