particles age problem

mic

hello! i have the strange problem with age attribute of particles. For example, let's create location -> attribute1 ($AGE) -> split1 -> attribute2 ($AGE) (another , because (first strange moment for me) after split operation new particles don't know their age correctly) -> split2 (new) -> attribute2 ($AGE again). Tell me please why some 'age' values are constant all the simulation?

You dont need to create an Attribute POP in order to access $AGE. Age is already on each particle by default. $AGE's attribute name appears as "life[0]". "life[1]" is $LIFESPAN and $LIFE equals "$AGE/$LIFESPAN". I know that can be confusing. $AGE is in seconds.

If you were to use your example, do you have $AGE as the "value" in the Attribute POP?

yes, i know about all these attrs. my problem is to kill splitted particles if they flied not far enough from the parent particle. (kill Rule = [$AGE > 1.5 && $DIST < 1.75], where $DIST = sqrt (pow($TX - poppoint($PT, "ini_pos", 0), 2) + pow(..) + pow(..)) {ini_pos - (attr) birth position of splitted particle})

and there is an option in split op - preserve birth group, if it is on - ini_pos everytime equals position, but $AGE or $LIFE is correct, if it is off - ini_pos is correct but $AGE of splitted particles - not..

I've solved this problem somehow but don't understand the reason of this strange behavior..

can you post the scene?

ok, let's formalize the problem

-> testAge.hip

i added age attr - and in detail view you can see that only the second time splitted particles have 'true' age. why so?

(forget about all above, i think if i understand this all will be clear.)

testAge.hip

ok, let's formalize the problem

-> testAge.hip

i added age attr - and in detail view you can see that only the second time splitted particles have 'true' age. why so?

(forget about all above, i think if i understand this all will be clear.)

hmmm...there is something really flakey going on here. I opened your scene and created a new attribute called "age" and assigned the value "$AGE" to it. Its exaclty as you had it, and it works but your version of the attribute doesnt. Im guessing its a bug. What build are you using?

I tested it on 9.1.279

hmmm...there is something really flakey going on here. I opened your scene and created a new attribute called "age" and assigned the value "$AGE" to it. Its exaclty as you had it, and it works but your version of the attribute doesnt. Im guessing its a bug. What build are you using?

I tested it on 9.1.279

thank you, that's not the only bug this case unfortunately..