materials for RBD fractured object?

weining

Hi guys,

I have a problem about applying multiple materials to a RBD fractured object, I wanna this stone has a textured material like old aged outside, but inside with another material which looks a bit fresh. So it could make sense when it's smashed.

Here is my set up, I bet something wrong there...

I assign a Houdini granite mat to the whole 'stone' at OBJ level, which get some bumps and noises result for the both outside and inside shaders.

Then dive into the GEO level ,assign a VEX layered/displace material and uvunwrap it to make a different looking surface.

The problem is, when I render out the image sequences, the inside of the 'stone' is always floating or flashing, seems the noise of the granite mat stays where it was. Doesn't follow the movement of the RBD 'stone'.

I can't sort it out, I tried to just apply the granite mat to the 'stone', but its still the same problem, thanks for help

post-3977-1217852817_thumb.jpg

The problem is, when I render out the image sequences, the inside of the 'stone' is always floating or flashing, seems the noise of the granite mat stays where it was. Doesn't follow the movement of the RBD 'stone'.

Sounds like you need to assign a rest position to your object. Use the restSOP.

Hope this helps.

Georg

Get it ! Thank you Georg!!

So I did like this:

OBJ level ---material (noise displacement for inside)

GEO level---sphere, material (tex for outside), UV, cookies, groups, merge,dopnet, then rest. At restSOP, first input from RBD fractured dopnet, second input from merge.

Finally, the noise stays where it was.

But how can I do if I wanna UV inside as well? :P

Cheers!

stone.hipnc

Hi Zasid,

Thank you for the suggestion, I have watched you hip file, the network looks very clear and neat.

I have noticed you used two group SOPs in order to apply different materials to them, The problem for me is I have got over 30 pieces of rocks which all are RBD fractured from a single geometry, I can't select primatives by hand... :wacko:

Hi ,

Use this technique before sending them to dops.first select the top faces decalare them as groups and then select the bottom faces and declare them as another group and apply ur material.once u send them dops as fractures RBD there is a masking option their put the names of ur fractured chunks groups lets say ur groups are like chunks 01 chunk02 chuck 03...and so one so just put chunk* and it will take only broken groups with proper material applied on them.and will ignore ur 2 top material groups.HTH.

Hi Zasid,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry I am a little confused about groups. I still don't know how to select the primatives/faces inside of the geometry, not top and bottom faces. The two materials would be one assigned to the whole surface of the rock, rest materal will be assgined to the rock inside.

Cheers!

Hi Zasid,

Here is the hipnc file with a simple Digital Asset otl for hand cutting geometry by myself, if turns error plz install it. Many thanks. I temporarily delete the material nodes for a smaller size, but u can see material SHOPs inside of the rock.

Cheers

rock.zip

Edited by weining