Maya to Houdini - python plugin for Maya

keithlegg

Hello everyone,

I am a self taught artist/programmer who specializes in Maya but am into learning Houdini because I believe the two apps can compliment each other very nicely. I am looking for feedback on a tool I am building in Python Maya API that converts Maya polygons , cameras, and animation to Houdini. If anybody is interested I have posted it to my website at

http://www.perihelionvfx.com/Maya_To_Houdini.html

It is very beta and not ready to use for any real work , but I believe it shows promise. I plan on continuing to work on it until it can export polygons and cameras that match exactly so Houdini renders can be overlayed onto maya renders. I believe that it should be possible and it seems to be pretty close already.

It works by exporting a .geo for polygon objects and a .chan for animated transforms. Instead of using a .hip file, I have it output an hscript that loads all the data back into Houdini.

It works with Linux and Windows.

Any feedback would be helpful, or if anybody seems to think its useful let me know.

Keith Legg

cool project...

I assume you know about support for the FBX format in Houdini?

DOH!

Actually I didn't but after a little looking around, I dont have it becuase I am running Houdini 9.0.7, it looks like FBX is only for 9.1 and up. Oh Well, My goal was to learn Maya API and I had fun doing it... One advantage my plugin has is that it would work with older versions of Houdini , but yeah I see your point.

Keith

DOH!

Actually I didn't but after a little looking around, I dont have it becuase I am running Houdini 9.0.7, it looks like FBX is only for 9.1 and up. Oh Well, My goal was to learn Maya API and I had fun doing it... One advantage my plugin has is that it would work with older versions of Houdini , but yeah I see your point.

Keith

I'd consider even getting onto a 9.0 version later than 9.0.7 (that is, if you can't move up to 9.5). That version is very very old and they've fixed a LOT of bug since then.