ICE & HOUDINI volume render comparison

mangi

Here in the image are both renders ICE and mantra, what you could think would be the same thing?

ICE Billow preset

Houdini fx_vol_fog (billow smoke)

both scenes are the example files in each program. ICE or houdini

Please fell free to make any comments.

I personally like the mantra render better than the ICE shader? I think maybe the ICE version was really not intended to get up really close.

I guess it looks fine when it is like really far in the background.

Like I mentioned before, these are the scenes that come in each program.

Houdini preset shelf "heavy smoke"

XSI , ICE_Thick_smoke

No tweaking done.

no render time

If any one is interested. or not.

mangi

XSI used at the job www.pocoyo.comHoudini becuase it has these nice thing

post-2848-1219009982_thumb.jpg

Edited by mangi

Well I guess thick billowing smoke could mean almost anything its a pretty broad description.

To me the houdini one looks more like thick smoke from something burning and the XSi is more like thick steam but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if you couldn't just tweak the parameters and make them look the same. At the end of the day its all CG fog after all.

What would me more interesting is having made them look the same which one renders quicker and which one gives you more control when the director says it needs to be more wispy but heavier. :lol:

Edited by sibarrick

hmm.... rather useless comparison. We don't know what stays behind it. Both XSI and Houdini are not blackbox with render button. So many factors must be taken into account. Besides that, ICE doesn't render. It simulates. mental ray renders.

well maybe it is useless comparison, to you, but for people that are in pipeline production not just a one man thing , it may be that this comparisons are made to see which products are better for curtain things. Yes you are correct saying that ICE is not they render. however I did not want to mention mental ray 3.6 which is the version in the xsi 7 version. And the blab is all about ICE.

Any way the ICE volume is done with particles, not to sure how this will react with Dynamics in ICE.

fell free to compare what ever you like .

by the wat it looks like mental ray has a new version mental ray 3.7

mangi

renderman versus mental ray

renderman versus mentalray

Edited by mangi

Any way the ICE volume is done with particles, not to sure how this will react with Dynamics in ICE.

That is the question which makes the comparison relevant: are they the same ? The Houdini example is a true volume, but I don't know about the ICE one. Is it a volume, or we're talking about sprites or something else?

Dragos