fitting keyframed motion to a beat

Hi all.

I have a little problem.

Say I have a geometry (a cube for example) and its keyframed to move in x direction (Frame1=0, Frame40=5, Frame50= 5). Now I want to sync those 50 frames to a beat and move the geo continuously along x, and not all the time from 0 to 6 again.

I have a beat chopnet setup, fetched the tx channel of the geometry and then tried the fitting using the warp chop (and I guess i would work with a lookup chop as well). Dunno if this is the good way to do, the actual problem i have is, that right now, for each beat, the geometry moves from 0 to 6 in x again, but I want it to continue to travel along x on each beat.

Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance

P.snyder

Don't know, if this is the thing you want, but you could take a look at the area-CHOP. It integrates the input-channel. This always "adds" to the last position of your cube. Make sure, that you add a record-CHOP between the beat and the area, since it would not work if connected directly. You could also try to connect the area-CHOP directly to the output of your keybord-taps (or whatever beat-input you have). Perhaps this is the result you think of???

sure it is. For general information look here http://www.elkabong.com/IDC/html/Live3D.html

and try out touch designer, http://www.derivativeinc.com

you should be able to transfer the concept from the demo synth to houdini easily.

If you take a look at my file, the beat trigger comes from the keyboard chop/beat chop combo. This could be a audio file or live input. You would have to play with filters to get a portion of the soundfile which represents the drum and then use this to trigger other events, sync animation to the beat and so on.

Mistyk: I did this one in the "old days" of version 4. I have found the scene and attached it to this post. Please excuse some of the german names in the scene. You have to point the "fileMusicIn"-CHOP at the top of the chain to a wav-file on your disc. Hope you find it usefull.

puma.snyder: I took a look at your scene and everytime I press the "2"-key on my keyboard the sphere jumps forward a bit. I don't see any hangs. Could you please explain more detailed what you expect?

Lautsprecher.zip

OK. the jumping when pressing the 2 key is clear and no problem, but there are some subtle hangs, each time at a different frame. If you step trough using the arrow key, you will see that the ball sometimes does not move for 2-3 frames. Thtas what I mean

When changing the keyframes in the reference null this isnt anymore noticable, but in this test its there, subtle, but I want to get rid of it :)

Thx again

if you append a record chop to the export chop at the end of the network, and watch the tx graph, you see that its not a straight line, but it should be, if I am not wrong

Alternatively you can branch a record chop of the speedchange (lookup) chop. In this graph you see that at the peak of each ramp, there is often the same value for 1 to 2 frames. I guess the reason for this is, than the ramps from the beat chop not always reach a value of 1, but I dont know how to fix this.

Thanks a bunch for your replies puma.snyder and Frank! Haven't had time to checkout that .hip-file, but I will.

On a related note; since it seems to be possible to animate sounds in houdini (e.g. assign sounds to objects or events), how is the final audio output rendered out? The visual part of the animation is rendered to stills by Mantra, but is there a way to get the sound rendered out to an audio-file?