Maya-like Fluid Texturing

Sagroth

I'm trying to make clouds via fluids similar to maya ones. In Maya, texturing fluid opacity with built-in noise allows to get really fine details during render though maintaining pretty low amount of voxel grid divisions - as well as I understand, each voxel gets it's render volume affected by this hi-freq overall noise texture. Can that be done in Houdini?

Here's the pic of the effect I'm searching for - low-res 10x10x10 grid renders with fine details due to noise texturing.

post-4018-1221935846_thumb.jpg

you can do that in the shader that you apply to your volume .. check the volumetric materials that ships with houdini for more details.

cheers

Besides that: http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com...ight=rest#53264

Plus check this year Siggraph course on fluids:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com...&Itemid=264

Edited by SYmek

you can do that in the shader that you apply to your volume .. check the volumetric materials that ships with houdini for more details.

cheers

Yeah, I've managed to add custom noise to the standard basic_smoke, but volumes just move through this noise without inheriting the pattern. I know there's a "rest" data for this, but that's a pretty strong stuff to understand without proper materials :) SYmek, thanks for the links, I guess that's what I need.

So, there's no quick presets for generating clouds, as well as I understand :)

Yeah, I've managed to add custom noise to the standard basic_smoke, but volumes just move through this noise without inheriting the pattern. I know there's a "rest" data for this, but that's a pretty strong stuff to understand without proper materials :) SYmek, thanks for the links, I guess that's what I need.

So, there's no quick presets for generating clouds, as well as I understand :)

Actually there is. If you don't want to get your hands dirty with managing the rest attribute in you shader you can use the billowy smoke shader and start tweaking it. If you get curious and want to know how the rest attribute is handled in vops you can dive into the billowy smoke Material and you'll notice that it's built in VOPs. Enjoy!

Cheers

Edited by ihab

I mean quick presets like in Maya - you just take a cloudy scene from visor and look how it's build with thorough comments :)

Well, after reading some of the materials and tweaking scenes, the summary is - in 9.5 there's a "rest" attribute already present for fluids by default, so the only thing left is to plug your restPosition-driven noise in the shader like billowy_smoke (just had no luck with it's default anti-aliased noise for that matter). Here's the scene I've ended up with (in case someone wants it :))

Thanks for your help, guys :)

fluidTexturing02.rar