Rigging to Primitive Groups?

goldleaf

I'm articulating a mechanical beetle, and the model is one obj. I would like to bind the mesh to the bones based on primitive groups, but I haven't been able to find a way. Is this feasible in Houdini? There really isn't any mesh deformation, as the parts are metal and thus won't be flexing really. Or is there another way to import and bind individual pieces of geometry to bones?

In the image, I've been playing with capture regions, but they aren't working where meshes sit close together.

in answer to your question - the capture SOP has a Group field...you can capture JUST that group to a bone(s) - note that this must be a POINT group. you can convert a prim group to a point group with the group SOP.

in your case this would mean having a capture SOP for each group you want to capture...might not be the best solution...

the alternative is to break out each group (separate metal chunk) as a separate object - and the make that object the child of a bone...no deform node required...this is pretty standard for hard surface rigging.

• 3 weeks later...