Pointcloud GI like renderman?

Hi all!

Im having a hard time lighting in houdini without a fast gi solution. The full irradience in houdini works realy nice, but realy slow with displacement. (maybe im doing something wrong here?)

In renderman displacement and pointcloud gi is extremely fast. Something like this would be realy usefull in houdini!

So im just wondering if anyone have managed to make pointcloud gi like Renderman got?

And maybe share some secrets on how to make it! :D

Thanks!

Look at the sticky thread in this forum, "PCPack" .. PC stands for point cloud.

AFAIK Renderman point clouds method for GI (and AO) doesn't use raytracing. Unlike this, PCPack shaders simply utilized pc as a cache for a standard raytrace algorythm. At least this is how I remember it. Saying that, I would love to see pc filtered based GI for Mantra...

Thanks for the good feedback! :)

I tried both packages now, the PCpack and the pointcloudAO shader from the "fast GI anyone" thread, and having a hard time making them work. What is the workflow to create the pointcloud neede by the shader? Scatter SOP and a rop_output that writes a pc?

And since its a shader and not a light how can i use other shaders with the fastgi shader?

Im not a experienced houdini artist, so many of these things are new to me. In renderman is just 2 clicks and you got pointcloud gi. :) And it dont needs raytracing and is insane fast with displacement! So im kinda looking for the same workflow in houdini.

Thanks!