linux os and hardware help/insight please

ectonaut

Hi:

I'm looking into using houdini for an animation package. I've been following it since 4.0 release and I think i'm ready and confident to use it as an effects and animation package. I recently installed linux redhat 8 and on a dell Dimesion with an onboard 8 meg vram 2x AGP 566 hz intel celeron 128 sdram. It's a bit old it's my test computer...thought I would give it a "linux boost". I installed maya 4.5, shake 2.5, rayz 2.2 houdini 6.0.

and wow...

Linux Shake works really good compared to the windows 2000 version of shake on a p4 2 gig with a geforce MX 2 64 meg agp 4x card and 512 ddr ram!!!

maya ran smooth depite only having half the recommended ram.

When it came to houdini 6 the performance between these computers was it's most evident. I made a dynamics simulation with a sphere and the spring SOP and the preformance on the dell celeron 566 2X AGP 8Meg 128 SDRAM Linux Houdini was BETTER than a Pentium 4 2 gig with a geforce 2 MX AGP 4X 64 MB VRAM and 512 DDR memory !!!! Raided drives too !!! (level 0)...

ALRIGHT !!!!

So...Let's get these programs on the p4 with the cool graphics card and the DDR memory and a wider cache and all that...

So I installed redhat 8 just fine it recognizes the card and everything is nice. i install houdini 6 and licence it and it starts...great. As soon as I click on any menu or anything functional it crashes. So...ok I installed the nvidia drivers...yay. This time the intro screen show up on the upper part of the screen now...smaller, antialiased...and then the program crashes before the interface appears....

ok it's a resolution problem right....other resolutions don't even show the startup screen. when I try to run houdini it just doesn't even bother and tells me it crashes....this is the error message...

Crash report from root; FUSE Version 6.0.249

When I start maya 4.5 it works but all the viewports are blank...I'm blind in maya now. on my p4 with the geforce 2 mx card

I'm using redhat 8 and Gnome I tried 7.3 on test computer with KDE but I hate KDE now I got to used to Gnome....I'm getting demotivated here..

so.. what's the deal...Redhat 8, Gnome, KDE?, geforce 2 MX 64 AGP

what gives?

and why is it whenI type source houdini_setup It's returns an error message and when I type houdini_source_bash works in the command shel

I can't install houdini 5.5 because of this...and it doesn't work with 7.3

please help...Houdini linux is packing some performance for the buck and the Ghz

These programs and os's are supposed to work according to the manufacturers BTW. PLease send me some of you guys configurations I want to try athlon dual processor next. suggestions? HELP!!!!!

sincerely,

Luis

houdini_setup is a csh script while houdini_setup_bash is a bash script. By default on Red Hat (and most Linux distros) the shell is bash. To run houdini_setup you will need to first switch your shell. Do this by typing these commands:

csh
source houdini_setup

There's been lots posted on red hat already. Try these threads:

http://odforce.net/forum/index.php?s=0608e...&hl=linux&st=10

http://odforce.net/forum/index.php?s=0608e...T&f=2&t=308&hl=

PS. What resolutions did it work for Houdini 6 and which ones don't work? You might want to post something about this on the Side Effects forums as well at http://www.sidefx.com/forum