sss Quality as 3delight`s? possible in Mantra?

kensonuken

Guest xionmark
An enterprising person could attempt to code something like this up in the i3d context and so emulate a ptfilter-like workflow, possibly accessing baked illumination from exported pointcloud or unwrapped image or deepshadow. I'm sure there some neat optimizations you can do if you know you're sampling on a regular grid instead of a point-cloud too - even just taking advantage of the mip-mapping capability of i3d.

Wouldn't it be nice to just be able to select a "subsurface" filter type when sampling a lightfield? (alongside the "gaussian", "box", etc) - e.g shadowmap("light1.rat", nml, normalbias, densitymult, "filter", "subsurface"). I suppose the deepshadow would have to be able to store a "group" index field too, to support exclusive volume chunks.

I might be willing to take on this coding project (and open to other programmers as well), depends on other projects that (may or may not) be in the hopper. And I'm thinking about using Dynamic Tubular grids (Ken Museth's work) as a data structure for this sort of thing.

http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1132035

Mark

I might be willing to take on this coding project (and open to other programmers as well), depends on other projects that (may or may not) be in the hopper. And I'm thinking about using Dynamic Tubular grids (Ken Museth's work) as a data structure for this sort of thing.

http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1132035

Mark

What I'm wondering, too, is I wonder if the entire ptfilter functionality can be coded in VEX itself (perhaps even VOP'ed), and then run as a i3dgen standalone. If so, then you can multithreading for free. Have you looked at ssdiffusion.cpp? Can you tell from browsing it if a straight i3dgen-style traversal can yield these results efficiently?