Ubuntu 8.10 and NVidia 8600 - Corrupt Graphics

caleb

Does anyone have any insight into which NVidia Driver I should use with Ubuntu 8.10 (kernel rev: 2.6.27-9) and an NVidia 8600. I'm currently on the latest driver from NVidia: 177.82. With this, the graphics are corrupt - with window contents scrambled, panes spilling content to other panes, and a constant stream of garbage graphics outside oh the Houdini window in the upper-Left corner of the screen. Then, it crashes, and requires a power cycle to reset.

Any clues appreciated!

-caleb

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone have any insight into which NVidia Driver I should use with Ubuntu 8.10 (kernel rev: 2.6.27-9) and an NVidia 8600. I'm currently on the latest driver from NVidia: 177.82. With this, the graphics are corrupt - with window contents scrambled, panes spilling content to other panes, and a constant stream of garbage graphics outside oh the Houdini window in the upper-Left corner of the screen. Then, it crashes, and requires a power cycle to reset.

Any clues appreciated!

-caleb

Today I decided to move up to Ubuntu 8.10 64-bit from Unbuntu 8.04 64-bit. I tried months ago and had problem with my NVidia 8500 so I was forced to reinstall 8.04. The problem that I had was that I did an update from 8.04. Today I did a completely new install of 8.10 from the liveCD. Got Envy and chose the driver it recommended. Restarted and now everthing is running well--no content and text scrambled. Maybe this will help you.

I got similar problem as caleb mentioned, with my Fedora 10 (x86_64, kernel 2.6.27-5) and GeForce 8600 GTS. But after I installed the beta NVIDIA driver 180.16, the problem gone. And now it runs smoothly:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1873716

Hope that help.

Kam

Hi Kam,

I'm curious how do you like Fedora 10? I downloaded it recently, but have been holding off installing it due to mixed reviews. Are you using RPM Fusion + Yum to install 3d enabled drivers, or do you compile them yourself the "unsupported" way?

Hi Kam,

I'm curious how do you like Fedora 10? I downloaded it recently, but have been holding off installing it due to mixed reviews. Are you using RPM Fusion + Yum to install 3d enabled drivers, or do you compile them yourself the "unsupported" way?

Hi Alanw,

I used to compile the NVIDIA driver by myself using the following method:

http://www.linuxforums.org/multimedia/inst...3d_drivers.html

Not too difficult. Some remarks:

Step 1) I used to install kernel-devel instead of kernel-sources.

Step 6-9) not necessary for me.

BTW, seems that I have to disable SELinux before I install the driver (and don't know why). After that, I can re-enable SELinux again.

Hope my method will not destory your linux (I am not a linux expert anyway...) :)

Kam

• 3 months later...

hey i'm running NVidia 8400GT, and recently installed Ubuntu8.10

The display is really great but when I open Nuke, I have patches on my display (only in the displayed image)

I know this is not a Nuke forum, but feel the issue is not pertaining to Nuke, rather installation of drivers.

here's the image

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27793702@N02/3406115907/

any solutions??

(i'm just starting with linux..so please excuse if this is pretty simple :) )

I really like Ubuntu (having used it now) and would like to stick to it..would appreciate any help

thanks.