Fuse primitives on singel mesh

Nerox

Hi,

I have a polyon object (imported OBJ), every polyon seems to be declared as a single primitive. How can I merge althese primitives so all the polyons are still there but with 1 primitive declared?

All polygons are well connected as a single mesh, it has 844 polygons and but also 844 primitives when I middle mouse click.

In Houdini it works fine, but when I export a FBX to Maya it goes wrong (triangulated faces flying around where they shouldn't, that sort of stuff).

The join SOP makes a mess of it and I can't find any other sollution on the forum, I'm really desperate. I need to export it to Maya to submit it for rendering.

All help is really appreciated.

I've attached a zip file, be aware of the obj sequence. Maybe you need to set the correct path on the top file node.

(All our Maya guy's couldn't fix this shot due to UV issues, they we're beggin me to fix it in Houdini. Gna gna ;) ).

Bank.rar

..I have a polyon object (imported OBJ), every polyon seems to be declared as a single primitive. How can I merge althese primitives so all the polyons are still there but with 1 primitive declared?

All polygons are well connected as a single mesh, it has 844 polygons and but also 844 primitives when I middle mouse click...

Oke I just reallize this is potentially bullshit :blink:,

Let's change te topic, why doesn't it export correct to Maya?

In Houdini it works fine, but when I export a FBX to Maya it goes wrong (triangulated faces flying around where they shouldn't, that sort of stuff).

I can imagine Maya doesn't like the over time changing topology, but is there a way to get this wright? I think I've tried every single export option, but without succes.

Oke I just reallize this is potentially bullshit :blink:,

Let's change te topic, why doesn't it export correct to Maya?

I can imagine Maya doesn't like the over time changing topology, but is there a way to get this wright? I think I've tried every single export option, but without succes.

Hi there,

It seems that the issue you have is with the exporter . importer FBX that you have in the maya machine.

With your hip file Bank_01.hip , I pumped it into xsi 7.O. I don't use Maya, but For this purpose, i guess it is the same.

here I reexported the Bank_01.hip from houdini into xsi and appears to have the same geo , nothiong flying apart.

there is an option in xsi to expot to maya , here are the files. What version ar you running in houdini.

cheers

mangi

post-2848-1230896602_thumb.jpg

fbx.rar

post-2848-1230897202_thumb.jpg

Edited by mangi

Hi there,

It seems that the issue you have is with the exporter . importer FBX that you have in the maya machine.

With your hip file Bank_01.hip , I pumped it into xsi 7.O. I don't use Maya, but For this purpose, i guess it is the same.

here I reexported the Bank_01.hip from houdini into xsi and appears to have the same geo , nothiong flying apart.

there is an option in xsi to expot to maya , here are the files. What version ar you running in houdini.

cheers

mangi

Hi there Nerox, I have to go out for a while,

Test that file I sent you that came out of xsi. The FBX maybe you can use xsi as a little bridge to get around the FBX issue you are having,

If you need a temporary fix let me know And I will be glad to help you out .

Cheers

mangi

Hi there Nerox, I have to go out for a while,

Test that file I sent you that came out of xsi. The FBX maybe you can use xsi as a little bridge to get around the FBX issue you are having,

If you need a temporary fix let me know And I will be glad to help you out .

Cheers

mangi

@ Mangi: Thanks for you reply! But unfortunately it didn't help, you didn't import any animation in to XSI so also your FBX doesn't have any.

I'm pretty sure what the issue is, this object(s) has a changing number of points and topology. The FBX export is based on vertex caching, with doesn't work properly with changing topology and a varying number of points.

I think I should tread the object as if it's a surfased fluid, and export it like so. I just don't know (jet) how to proper export a surfased fluid, so I keep diging, any idea's or help is more than welcome.

btw:

To all: Happy New Year! Hope 2009 will bring us multi threading, speed, better modeling workflow/tools and everything else we wish for which fit within the Houdini Universe ;)

@ Mangi: Thanks for you reply! But unfortunately it didn't help, you didn't import any animation in to XSI so also your FBX doesn't have any.

I'm pretty sure what the issue is, this object(s) has a changing number of points and topology. The FBX export is based on vertex caching, with doesn't work properly with changing topology and a varying number of points.

I think I should tread the object as if it's a surfased fluid, and export it like so. I just don't know (jet) how to proper export a surfased fluid, so I keep diging, any idea's or help is more than welcome.

btw:

To all: Happy New Year! Hope 2009 will bring us multi threading, speed, better modeling workflow/tools and everything else we wish for which fit within the Houdini Universe ;)

Ya you are right I did not test this , I had to go out. It looks like the fbx is not really to good.

cheers

Well we're getting there.

The 'surfaced fluid approach' did work, although I had to set the framerate in Maya to 25Fps like the Houdini file, in order to make the point/vertex cache to work. (That's the explanation for the polyons flying around)

I was almost dancing around when I discovered the UV's didn't come allong, it seems like Houdini doesn't export them to the FBX file. Strange enough it does export uv's when I export a .obj file.

So the next problem we're facing: How do I get Houdini to export the UV's properly. At the end of the 'node tree' the UV's exists like I like the to be.

Hi,

Here are two threads over at SESI forums about exporting animation which is pretty much what you figured out.

As for UVs, I recommend posting your question over at SESI forums or email support directly.

Cheers!

steven

Steven,

Thanks for your reply, the exual answer on my question is in this thread.

Due to the limitations of the FBX format they had to use some magic to make 'exporting changing topologies' work, to bad the uv's are lost in the proces.

We've made some consesions in terms of 3d motionblur, so now I'm exporting a obj sequence which is imported in Maya using a script, and we add 2d motionblur in post, which will do for now.

Thanks all for helping me knocking this one down.