Windy Tree

rohandalvi

hi,

I am fairly new to DOPS. I can do basic RBD stuff but nothing very complicated and i am trying out wire solvers for the first time.

I have the Digital tutors dynamics DVD and was able to do that stuff without any problems.

Now coming to my question.

I want to simulate wind blowing through a tree. I modeled the tree using L-Systems. The question is how to do the simulation.

I gave the tree a wire solver and gave it wind, no gravity. I also gave it a pin constraint to make sure it stays rooted. But gets really stretchy. How do I make it stiff . Also how do I make sure that the wind effect is more on the upper branches and less on the lower ones.

Any help will be most appreciated.

with regards

Rohan Dalvi

hi,

I am fairly new to DOPS. I can do basic RBD stuff but nothing very complicated and i am trying out wire solvers for the first time.

I have the Digital tutors dynamics DVD and was able to do that stuff without any problems.

Now coming to my question.

I want to simulate wind blowing through a tree. I modeled the tree using L-Systems. The question is how to do the simulation.

I gave the tree a wire solver and gave it wind, no gravity. I also gave it a pin constraint to make sure it stays rooted. But gets really stretchy. How do I make it stiff . Also how do I make sure that the wind effect is more on the upper branches and less on the lower ones.

Any help will be most appreciated.

with regards

Rohan Dalvi

Hi there,

I did this a while back.

Let me see if I can remember what was going on here.

Okay in the tree geo 3 atrributes

1.Adding a width attribute which start at 0.3 at the base of the tree, and decreases moving up the tree. The width value will be used to calculate a variety of other attributes for the tree.

2.Use the width attribute to calculate a value for the linear stretchiness of the tree. Wider parts are less stretchy.

3Uses the width attribute to calculate the kangular attribute, which is a measure of the angular springiness of the tree. The greater the width, the harder it is to bend the tree.

Here yu have some snap shots.

Like I said this was a while back , I am not to sure where I got this tutorial , I think They are on the gnomon lsystems , that I purchased 2 summers ago.

well maybe some on here at the forum can remember.

cheers

mangic

blowingtree.mov

post-2848-1231245139_thumb.jpg

post-2848-1231245162_thumb.jpg

post-2848-1231245180_thumb.jpg

Hi there,

I did this a while back.

Let me see if I can remember what was going on here.

Okay in the tree geo 3 atrributes

1.Adding a width attribute which start at 0.3 at the base of the tree, and decreases moving up the tree. The width value will be used to calculate a variety of other attributes for the tree.

2.Use the width attribute to calculate a value for the linear stretchiness of the tree. Wider parts are less stretchy.

3Uses the width attribute to calculate the kangular attribute, which is a measure of the angular springiness of the tree. The greater the width, the harder it is to bend the tree.

Here yu have some snap shots.

Like I said this was a while back , I am not to sure where I got this tutorial , I think They are on the gnomon lsystems , that I purchased 2 summers ago.

well maybe some on here at the forum can remember.

cheers

mangic

here you go, it is an example in the dop examples in houdini "bending tree"

here you have it

cheers mangic

bendingtree.hipnc