creative copying?

artzor

hi all

i'm wondering how to creatively fill a model with copies of another. so say, for example, i want to build the eifel tower out of cellphones...

i model the eifel tower very basically, and then model the phone. is there a way to place the phone so it volumetrically fills the tower?

any ideas or direction to useful tutorials/forum posts would be greatly appreciated :)

Hey man

there many ways to do this,

it gets tricky when u want to phones to not intersect & look random :)

but to fill an object with another object is actually quiet simple:)

use the Points from Volume Sop, so u basically feed ur tower into that sop and then with those points that are returned,

u can use the copy sop to copy the cell phones onto those points.

so the key things u'll need to consider to do something basic

firstly make sure ur points are visible when using the points from volume SOP :)

start with a high point separation or u might have way too many points.

then lastly - use the copy sop, where the cell phone goes on the left input and the points goes on the right input.

take a look at the examples of the copy sop for more info about getting alot of detail out of something.

hope this helps

:blink:

hey guys,

thanks so far. i'm aware of the basics of generating points then using a copy op but i want to take it further than this...

i'd like to take into acount curves and angles so it doesn't just randomly fill the object but tends to follow it's "topology"

do you think this would be possible? i'm sure it wouldn't be as simple as a few nodes and would take a while but i'm very interested in doing this procedurally...

nice one owl! now this is starting to get somewhere :)

care to explain the process, seems simple enough. there are a few variations of the grid but how does the copy node know which one to use? i see no stamping or anything...

nice one owl! now this is starting to get somewhere :)

care to explain the process, seems simple enough. there are a few variations of the grid but how does the copy node know which one to use? i see no stamping or anything...

those are not variations, i just deformed the plane slightly to see the result, basically after scattering points on volume you transfer normal and up vector attributes from your mesh to points and copy your geometry thats it. There is no stamping. :)

great! thanks owl, i've got it now :)

i think if i use this along with some other random scattering it'll work nicely.

i'll just split up my source mesh into different groups and apply different methods where appropriate.

this is a personal project so it might go slowly but i'll get back to you with some images asap

:)