Procedural city

Hello

I trying create procedural city. It is for far background. My first bigger thing in houdini. I haves some problems. Still dont know if maya or houdini, hope houdini win :ph34r:

1, Proceduralism works great but have big problem with memory. When I copy object on grid, it is only one house (rand scale, rand rotate door, windows, rand floors), houdini crashes with 17*17 grid points, 289 objects. It is in houdini some memory settings or something, optimalization ?. I will have 3-4 houses like this. With a lot of randomizes. I try save to disk one block with 15*15 but houdini still crashes. I have 2Gb memory. Is there problem? In maya I have 5 mil poly in scene and work still good, no problems, there is 270 000 poly and houdini is down. Please look at the hip file. The tree is not perfect but still nohing complicated.

2, Some transformation problem. It is easy I thing but, Second floor need to be randomize rotate 0,90,180,270 degree. I create couple of transform nodes and then switch between them with stamp. There must be some expression which work with copy stamping and randomize 4 numbers.

3, Which is the best way how to randomize texture(material), let say I have 5 different textures for house, for same UVs, need to be randomize with stamping.

4, What is the best way do some pertagle control. I use switch for every random entity. But dont have control how many percent of whoch peace I need. Let say, I need 90 per houses without floor 5 per with 2 floor and 5 percent with 3 floor. How solve this problem?

It is stupid questions I know, I download some examples from PROCEDURAL CITY forum topic, but this things I cant find somewhere. Please look at the hip file, there is a lot of things which I could do better, better optimalization and help houdini make it more stable.

post-4005-1236621490_thumb.jpgpost-4005-1236621496_thumb.jpg

city_015.rar

Your doors and windows are killing this.

Seriously for far back ground they can just be texture mapped boxes. Building detail into them is adding too much data.

If it is far background you will not see poly bevels.

I replaced the window/door detail with plain boxes and had the grid size to 100x100 with no crash.