Twisting Error

Dennis

Hi there,

hope someone can help me with this. I'm trying to build a Digital Asset for ropes, but I get twisting errors due to wrong up vectors I guess.

I already tried the solution in this thread Twisting Problem without any luck.

I can't figure it out, even with the provided files in the thread.

Many thanks.

Dennis

post-4481-1238177448_thumb.png

post-4481-1238177510_thumb.png

rope_004.hipnc

Edited by Dennis

Hey,

thank you for your replies.

You are absolutely right, I forgot to add the OTL file, :rolleyes: so here it is.

Thanks petz for your alternate solution. That gave me some new directions to think about. I think it's more elegant than my approach.

Still, it would be very nice, if someone could educate me in regards to up vectors :)

Kind regards,

Dennis

rope_004.hipnc

rope.otl

curve_normal.otl

Still, it would be very nice, if someone could educate me in regards to up vectors :)

As far as I can tell, you haven't provided the up vector attribute? So the Copy SOP just orients it in a direct manner without regards to the fact that the points are actually from a curve. The Sweep SOP on the other hand, knows that it's sweeping along the curve and thus can orient the circles appropriately. One way to fix this file is to use the Sweep SOP to come up with suitable up vectors. However, I like petz' approach of using the Sweep SOP directly.

Also I noticed in your file that you used a ForEach network to create a single point per group. There's an easier way do it with a single Partition SOP: Entity = Points, Rule = ropePointGroup_$PT

Also I noticed in your file that you used a ForEach network to create a single point per group. There's an easier way do it with a single Partition SOP: Entity = Points, Rule = ropePointGroup_$PT

Thanks for that tip edward. I never actually thought about using the partition SOP.

I also like petz' approach much better than mine. I think I will stick with his idea and build upon that. I will also try to use the Carve SOP for the substrands as you suggested.

Edited by Dennis