lightning

itriix

Hey everyone, i've been trying to make some controllable lightning kind of like those globes you can buy from the store that has electricity traveling through it and when you place your hand on it the electricity will travel to your hands... i want the lightning to be born from a point and essentially STRIKE the "current selected area"... i want it to have the ability to have branches as well. So, I've played around with a single location pop, gave it some force and noise, and i use add sop to wire it together. but then i was trying to have a random grouping mechanism for spliting the particles every so often, which i was trying to wire together as well but for some reason couldn't get it to work like the original main lightning and to actually be a BRANCH from the main lighting strike. Any help would be appreciated. I've heard l-systems would be a good solution but everything i've tried with the l-system didn't give me the desired result

thanks,

Jonathan

use $(x,y,z)

in your rules to point the l-system toward a point (null) at the object level

use origin() to calculate the x,y,z values...

I don't have time right now to post a hip file...I see what I can do tomorrow....

hmmm, even though what you said sounded simple, i just couldn't figure out how to manipulate the l-system in that respect. if you get a chance would you be able to elaborate a bit more on the subject?

thank u so much

Jonathan

wow thanks for the quick response michael! i'll try out what you said asap.