H9 vex shaded mode

Did I miss the thread on why VEX Shaded Mode was removed from Scene View > Display Options? And, why do I not see any mention of it in the help cards after waiting patiently for the search results?

Am I taking crazy pills?

It was removed, yeah... I think it had too many issues to be genuinely useful.

I kind of miss that feature, and it came in handy once in a while. The viewport shadows are more.. errr, undercooked shall we say, than vex-shaded view ever was.

I hear you, but hopefully IPR can provide you fast "previews" of your scene now... especially once they get the RenderRegion tool to be able to invoke IPR progressive previewing. Or perhaps they can get a vex shaded view to return by getting Mantra itself to eval the points on the mesh using a persistent Mantra process.

At one stage I wished that the VEX shaded view that it would work differently, by using VEX to bake a 128x128 constant texture using the bound shaders (no-op'ing out the lighting vex calls) and then automatically applying those textures- like a mini-shaderbake, but the lighting computations done by OpenGL.