Linux recommendations

Hi,

I'm a mac os x user, and well, that doesn't cut it any longer since I would like to work with the HDK.

So I'm thinking that I will install linux on my mac, shouldn't be a big problem. But it's a jungle of different versions out there, and for someone completely new to the linux world, it's a hell of a scary jungle too!

Are there any linux-users here? Which extension should I go with. pros? cons? Anything that could help is appreciated.

just upgraded to ubuntu 9 x64. So far it's been a smooth ride.

Quite user friendly with lot's of help/resources/forums online to get help if you get stuck. Quite well supported by other (driver) developers.

A little tip: I am dual booting with windows xp. If you're not planning to install your linux distro on a dedicated disk, you might need to defragment the shared disk before repartitioning. I ran into that during installation.

As a test you could download and boot with the ubuntu install disk to try it out without installing anything.

Hey

On one machine i have gentoo 32 and XP, and on another i have ubuntu 9.04 x64 and XP, houdini runs very smoothly on both, i didn't have any problems so far.

but if you are a new linux user i would recommend you get your first steps with ubuntu since it's easier than gentoo to setup ...etc and far more easier to maintain. so my vote in your case would go for ubuntu 9.04.

(those are the only two distros i used so far, so i can't comment on others)

Cheers

What's stopping you from using the mac for HDK development ?

-Drew

BTW I'm happily using Ubuntu 8.04 on a x86_64 machine.

Hi,

I'm a mac os x user, and well, that doesn't cut it any longer since I would like to work with the HDK.

So I'm thinking that I will install linux on my mac, shouldn't be a big problem. But it's a jungle of different versions out there, and for someone completely new to the linux world, it's a hell of a scary jungle too!

Are there any linux-users here? Which extension should I go with. pros? cons? Anything that could help is appreciated.

Edited by eloop

What's stopping you from using the mac for HDK development ?

-Drew

BTW I'm happily using Ubuntu 8.04 on a x86_64 machine.

A couple of reasons actually:

Maybe I'm completely mistaken here, but I find coding on OS X very.. eh. weird and circumstantial. There's A LOT more support for linux, a lot more options of IDE's, I got full python support (which I don't have on OS X). And well, it seemed like it would be a smoother experience.

So generally I felt like the time it would take me to get up and running coding on a OS X would take longer than to partition my hard drive, download Ubuntu and install linux.

Also, I saw it as a chance to get a reason to try linux out, which I haven't done before.

And I'm glad I did. :)

Probably a good idea, I also find that linux is a more conducive development environment. I thought you were saying that you hadn't been able to get hdk going under OSX, it isn't that much harder than linux. My IDE has always been emacs+compiler (+ command line debugger every now and then) which is available on most platforms these days. BTW, what is the python support that you don't have on OSX ?

-Drew

A couple of reasons actually:

Maybe I'm completely mistaken here, but I find coding on OS X very.. eh. weird and circumstantial. There's A LOT more support for linux, a lot more options of IDE's, I got full python support (which I don't have on OS X). And well, it seemed like it would be a smoother experience.

So generally I felt like the time it would take me to get up and running coding on a OS X would take longer than to partition my hard drive, download Ubuntu and install linux.

Also, I saw it as a chance to get a reason to try linux out, which I haven't done before.

And I'm glad I did. :)

Probably a good idea, I also find that linux is a more conducive development environment. I thought you were saying that you hadn't been able to get hdk going under OSX, it isn't that much harder than linux. My IDE has always been emacs+compiler (+ command line debugger every now and then) which is available on most platforms these days. BTW, what is the python support that you don't have on OSX ?

-Drew

Mac OS's Python implementation doesn't offer all the bells and whistles that linux and windows do. For example, there are lots of functions in the os module which are only supported on windows/linux. BDFL doesn't like Apple I guess... :lol:

Mac OS's Python implementation doesn't offer all the bells and whistles that linux and windows do. For example, there are lots of functions in the os module which are only supported on windows/linux. BDFL doesn't like Apple I guess... :lol:

I would have thought that most if not all the "linux" only functions would also be supported on the Mac given it's pretty much a unix OS, which ones in particular are you thinking of ?

-Drew