Houdini10 Apprentice on Ubuntu9.04-----> Getting UI Display Errors

hey I'm glad that H10 got installed on my Ubuntu 9.04 but when I launch it, there are no icons for the shelf tools as well as anywhere on the the UI,,,,No Icons,,

anyone else faced the issue??

PS: feels good to be back in this side of universe

you probably installed it as root.

ls -l in your $HOME and check if the houdini10 directory has got permissions set.

Either:

1) remove the houdini10 directory in your home whilst being root.

or

2) sudo chmod +rw -r houdini10 to give that houdini10 folder the proper permissions.

then launch houdini normally, it will recreate that directory, but this time as a normal user instead of as root.

have a look at this thread for more info - it's all in there:

http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?showto...amp;#entry59365

Edited by pclaes

Sorry to semi-hijack this thread, but I figured this would be the best place to put it.

Ive been using Linux for about a week now (no previous experience). Ive got Ubuntu 9.04 installed, and a little less than a week ago I installed H10 using a guide I found on Sesi forums. Ive not logged into Linux for about 3 days now, so I logged in today fired up Houdini, got the load screen, app loaded up, but thats it. I cant select or do anything.

Easiest way to put this is, fire up Houdini, take a screen grab, set it as your wallpaper, now try using that wallpaper as Houdini. Its driving me mad.

Im on a Geforce 8800GTS using 180x drivers. Everything is up to date on the OS side of things. It was working fine.

However Ive uninstalled it, reinstalled it, uninstalled it again and nuked the download, re-downloaded it, re-installed it, same thing, only this time the installation gets as far as the licensing screen, and low and behold I (again) cannot select the damn choices.

Here is a image of the latest install, look at the license screen, now try to click the "install apprentice licenses", cant do it?, neither can I :P

Has anyone had this before?

post-2039-1241772985_thumb.png

Also tried rolling back video card drivers and thats not the issue, as it still occurs. (My initial reason for the partitioning my HDD and putting Linux on there, is that x64-bit Vista drivers from Nvidia, crash within 10 minutes of Houdini starting, which makes Houdini totally unusable.)

Don't have linux in front of me, but did you turn off desktop effects - nvida turns it on by default which is not what you want?

(it's the icon with the two shirts, the last tab I think in administration - not sure )

It looks like you answered one of the installer questions strangely? It's trying to install into a directory named "yes". :)

Yes I flew through it to get a screenshot, I typed yes instead of [opt/hfs10.0.249.5] just for speed, (as this install was just for show purposes). However that is not the issue im afraid. Nor is turning off the visual effects, as I had already done that due to some thread's I read about it being prohibitive. I'll keep plugging at it, if it comes to it, I'll do a fresh install, as there isn't much on this partition, and what is on it is not worth keeping anyways.

Cheers for the help guys.

Edited by ragupasta

Yes I flew through it to get a screenshot, I typed yes instead of [opt/hfs10.0.249.5] just for speed, (as this install was just for show purposes). However that is not the issue im afraid. Nor is turning off the visual effects, as I had already done that due to some thread's I read about it being prohibitive. I'll keep plugging at it, if it comes to it, I'll do a fresh install, as there isn't much on this partition, and what is on it is not worth keeping anyways.

Cheers for the help guys.

Sounds mighty wierd, are you running 9.04 Jaunty? I'm noticing an error on line 811? Is that common, I was thinking; isn't most of houdinis interface built on python? so an error connected to python maybe can be the problem?

Also, are you running the install authorized? like sudo ./install.houdini

I got a bunch of wierd errors when I didn't do that.

Sounds mighty wierd, are you running 9.04 Jaunty? I'm noticing an error on line 811? Is that common, I was thinking; isn't most of houdinis interface built on python? so an error connected to python maybe can be the problem?

Also, are you running the install authorized? like sudo ./install.houdini

I got a bunch of wierd errors when I didn't do that.

Yeah Im running Jaunty. Im not 100% of the Houdini interface coding, yes its heavily Python afaik, but I read somewhere H-Script it still playing a part. Maybe Edward could clarify that, as I dont know.

As for the install, they way ive been doing it is....

(houdini download is un-archived in documents folder....)

[opens terminal]

sudo -s

password for SoiFon# *****

root@SoiFon# cd /home/glenn/Documents/houdini10.0.249.5

root@SoiFon# ./houdini.install

.......the installation process begins.....

Ive also tried it with the alt+f2, gksudo nautlius (run with file...) and I gets the same thing.

Its just really odd. Perhaps its something Ive done to upset the apple-cart, but what Im not sure, as ive not played with Linux a lot yet since I have a lot of reading up to do on the OS first.

Cheers.

PS: Im not in Linux now, so that terminal type up there ^^ is from mind.

Your installation process seems different from InstallingHoudini. It might where your python problems come from.

I'm not sure about this, but can you use the License Administrator from your Linux app menu? If you can, then you can just do manual apprentice licensing:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com...&Itemid=319

Also, your 100% sure you got the right version of Houdini downloaded? Because I didn't and that was a problem, hehe.

If you running 64bit 9.04 Jaunty you probably downloaded the "amd64" one. In that case your houdini tar should be named:

houdini-10.0.249.5-linux_x86_64_gcc4.1.tar.gz

Maybe we could compare some information since I'm running 9.04 Ubuntu too, with a working houdini. Unfortunately I don't know what information should be compared. hehe :)

Anyway, you could always try following the steps exactly after the "InstallingHoudini" tutorial that edward linked, there's not much difference, but it might work.

Your installation process seems different from InstallingHoudini. It might where your python problems come from.

I'm not sure about this, but can you use the License Administrator from your Linux app menu? If you can, then you can just do manual apprentice licensing:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com...&Itemid=319

As for the installation process, I googled on how to do it, and up popped this thread http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com...pic&t=14289 I followed the advice from SYmek's post #2. Is there any difference from me typing sudo -s to be root, over typing sudo ./ihoudini.install ?

Also edward, houdini says inside the terminal that it is installed, but its not. There is no side effects folder in the app menu.

simonj Yeah thats the version im using, see screenshot...

post-2039-1241957207_thumb.jpg

Edited by ragupasta

Actually I got it working. The ONLY thing different was ive changed my monitor over.Perhaps it was a monitor issue, I dunno, but It's working fine now.

Wierd. :S

I actually experienced something much like it today while working with houdini, suddently all buttons stopped working and I thought "you got to be kidding me". But I rebooted and it hasn't happened since.

Glad you figured it out though!

(OT: Is that Titus from FFX on your avatar? That's an awesome game. :D )