Displacement errors along Z Depth

Hi,

My displacement gives me some weird errors. There occur strange artifacts that have something todo with the dicing along the Z Depth (I think). I already tried everything I know and everything I could find in the forums to solve the problem but even setting the Z importance up to 10 and the shading rate to 12 doesn't solve the issue completely (it gets better though, but not satisfactory) but gives me huge rendertimes that I'm not able to handle for this project. I hope someone can help me solve this issue.

If its not possible to solve the issue with the displacement I would also consider a simple bump, but I'm having the same issues with that.

Greetings,

Dennis

post-4481-1242221675_thumb.png

disp.zip

I wouldn't use displacement for something like this. I did a close up render and your displace amount was also much too high. But like you noticed, even bump maps are challenging with really high-frequency textures. I was able to get it looking "okay" with bump mapping and high samples/shading quality, but renderimes suffered. One thing... that repeatable texture didn't have to be 8k! It made the renders take a while to start (at least I'm guessing that's what it was). If I were to further "troubleshoot" this scene, I'd look into the texture. Maybe try to create a procedural pattern in VOPs that matches the texture and not even bother with maps... just a thought.

disp_edit.zip

post-37-1242239474_thumb.jpg

Edited by DaJuice

That looks like the sort of thing I see when textures havent been converted to RAT.

Also look for the z importance render property and add to your object... It will let you increase the micropoly resolution on areas that are facing away from the camera.

S

It's certainly a combination of texture quality and also not having converted it to RAT. The main thing I would do if you want to use the texture is to make sure it can be tiled and from the one you posted, all you need is four squares at 256x256 or higher if you're rendering at high res.

Else, like DaJuice said, you should look into making the texture procedural in VOPs.

Cheers!

steven

Hey, thanks for your help.

Yes, the texture is way too big, but I also have a painted 8K Diffuse Map and just chose the quick and dirty way to also create an 8K Displacement Map to throw on the model with the same UVs.

I never bothered with converting my textures to RAT as I thought it's just another image format, but now that I tried it I think it's great. Converting my DIffuse map from png to RAT reduced my rendertimes by 50%!!! Is there a way to view my RAT files anywhere else than in Houdini or MPlay?

Converting my Displacement Map to RAT also helped a lot in reducing the artifacts, but I still have to crank up the quality settings too high to be a practical solution. Is there a way to fade off the displacement in the distance?

I will also try and create the texture in VOPs when I get some time to do so.

Greetings,

Dennis