completely photoreal character requirement (sss+hair)

kensonuken

we are trying to develop a character which is a complete replacement for an aged Film Star and in other words its like something similar to Benjamin Button.

Now Im facing couple of problems

1. I want to get proper SSS shader which can be used in production

2. All the 3d character and fur is being combed in Maya ( we are using Maya as our base package )

3. Occlusion and Bent normals are really very nice in Houdini but we are worried only about sss and Hair.

Please give me couple suggestions. Just because of above reasons we are forced to think about 3delight or Prman but I fell in love with mantra`s abilities. Please help me out.

as of now Im satisfied with the sss shader using point cloud but is there any standalone command to render point cloud data what if I have displacement on the geometry and i need to renderout the Point cloud? does the point cloud will be with the displacement? since we are plugging in the sop level

i'm not a good user of Houdini for now but i use a lot renderman so i can tell u that using Pointcloud for SSS is the best way to produce a good quality that care care of the Displacement and all kind of geometire deformation,

actualy rendering the Surface with the disp or without will not add huge amout in the renderman

and yes the pointcloud will take care of the the displacement .