Fur on Subdivision Surface

Branch your live geometry before fur is generated, add a subdivideSOP, put it to level 3, then append a point sop and input the normal non-subdivided geo for input#1, use the subdivided geometry for the second input.

in the point position put $TX2, $TY2, $TZ2

and then cross your fingers,

you should see a yellow flag here, as the sop will warn you about miss-matched-point counts, but the neat thing here is that odd levels of subdivision will allow you to match the same pt number from the live skin. a level of three should be sufficient but you might find things different, if you are rendering your skin on the fly as a subD as that work is done are render time to the limit surface, not as a iteration to the limit surface as in the subdivideSOP.

good luck

-k

I want to do a subdivision on my fur character skin. So how can I get my fur back on to skin. is there a way?

Martin

wicked ! Thanks.

Sure it does something, but mh, I'm not sure if it really pulls the roots to the surface

Not sure if I got You right

Martin

Branch your live geometry before fur is generated, add a subdivideSOP, put it to level 3, then append a point sop and input the normal non-subdivided geo for input#1, use the subdivided geometry for the second input.

in the point position put $TX2, $TY2, $TZ2

and then cross your fingers,

you should see a yellow flag here, as the sop will warn you about miss-matched-point counts, but the neat thing here is that odd levels of subdivision will allow you to match the same pt number from the live skin. a level of three should be sufficient but you might find things different, if you are rendering your skin on the fly as a subD as that work is done are render time to the limit surface, not as a iteration to the limit surface as in the subdivideSOP.

good luck

-k

wicked ! Thanks.

Sure it does something, but mh, I'm not sure if it really pulls the roots to the surface

Not sure if I got You right

Martin

hmm.. i don't know about that... it should do the trick, but unless the surface creating the hairs is generated the same way as the skin being rendered.. then yes the roots will be off.

you could do a peakSOP trick and try to find a way to compensate for the difference but that is fugly (not really a good decision).

actually now that I look at it the default set up for fur actually uses a PeakSOP before it creates some of the fur attributes.

If you are using that stuff then you will have to increase the display offset... i haven't looked too deeply to see if soemthing else is rendering.

but if you want to try some tests you could take your geometry, enable it to render in the "polygons as subD surface",

then use teh subdividedSOP + pointSOP method and switch between the two methods and see how to get the surfaces closer together.

really it would be "nice" to have a toggle on the guide/fur creation SOPs to allow for internal surface calculations to be done at the limit surface... it all sounds familiar some how.. but i digress :0

good luck

-k

Maybe I should have crossed my fingers :)

I will keep on it

Martin

hmm.. i don't know about that... it should do the trick, but unless the surface creating the hairs is generated the same way as the skin being rendered.. then yes the roots will be off.

you could do a peakSOP trick and try to find a way to compensate for the difference but that is fugly (not really a good decision).

actually now that I look at it the default set up for fur actually uses a PeakSOP before it creates some of the fur attributes.

If you are using that stuff then you will have to increase the display offset... i haven't looked too deeply to see if soemthing else is rendering.

but if you want to try some tests you could take your geometry, enable it to render in the "polygons as subD surface",

then use teh subdividedSOP + pointSOP method and switch between the two methods and see how to get the surfaces closer together.

really it would be "nice" to have a toggle on the guide/fur creation SOPs to allow for internal surface calculations to be done at the limit surface... it all sounds familiar some how.. but i digress :0

good luck

-k