Nate:Best Effect: Cyber Fight

MatrixNAN

Ok I lied here are two pics so you can see what it is I am doing. I am still doing the Bones AHHHHH! Yeah I had to take a couple of days out to learn the NURBS in Houdini. Which has put me behind still further yet. Well I have my work flow for my muscles and bones finally. So now it should go pretty fast. I plan to finish out all the bones today and maybe get some of the muscles done. I really need to. I have soooo much more to do.

The image below is a test render of just one of my bones the scapula which is the shoulder blade and the shader I am going to use for it. Which happens to be the Aluminum shadder I got much better results from it than I did the Chrome Shader.

ShoulderBladeAluminum.jpg

Anyhow you can't see it well inside the body but the second pic is of the Humerus, Scapula, and Clavicle inside the character mind you there is no light inside of him yet. I am going to do instanced lighting on the particles. So he will have an inner light generated from the fusion reactions occuring at a low level aka the particles.

ShoulderBladeAluminum2.jpg

Cheers,

Nate Nesler

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok this is an update shot on my worldship! I am going to add blue glowing stomach acid and stars. The yellow glowing thing is a planet in the background the reflected light from the planet passing through the worldship and playing off the surfaces. Slash the heck out of it. I need comments and know what is wrong with it if you think there is something wrong.

Cheers,

Nate Nesler :ph34r:

OrganicWorldShip_01.jpg

wow, the ship looks really cool! The yellow planet thing doesn't read though, and it's kinda distracting, so maybe change it, or take it out. Nide details though, it looks very organic.

You know you have to send this out by fedex tomorrow so it'll get there by monday ;) I'm doing the same thing....

-Jens

actually I can send it off tomarrow at 11:00 am. I checked with fedex and they have an open facility tomarrow. Pickup is at 11:00 am. I just have to keep working now! :);) I am getting a weird problem. I have all my bones tied into a single merge and that merge is tied into another merge that makes up the whole character. When I go to render the characters hand the bones don't show up only for the hand. However if I drop back to the bone merge they render! Any guesses???

Cheers,

Nate Nesler

Hand.jpg

Hand_Bones.jpg

Solved it! It was my shader for my glass skin. For some odd reason the skin becomes very reflect when the geometry gets tighter. This explains why I could not see the bones even though they were there. Very weird took a long time to figure out. Pic of Test! My entry will probably end up being a best model entry in that I don't think I will have enough time to render an animation.

Cheers,

Nate Nesler

FootTest.jpg

Thanks Jens for the advice for the customs. I used it. I sent my entry out today. The bad thing was I ran into some serious render problem with both ram and shading for my characters skin. The skin shader that I made for some reason had various level of transparency which resulted in the bones not being displayed. I threw a glass shader on him but that made him way to transparent and he did not even register against the environment. So I had to use an older image composited in. All that detail bone work and nothing to show for it. Grrrrrr! :angry::(:huh::blink: Oh well tell me what you think I will post the image as I had intended to send off to the competition. I think I just needed like another day to fix the render issues. Hey are any of you going to be at Siggraph because I am going to be there and I would not mind meeting some of guys there. Jens are you going?

Cheers,

Nate Nesler :ph34r:

FinalCommandoImage.jpg

well, even so, you created an interesting piece of work. And maybe post your 'real' final version on odforce (and I know that some of those sesi people browse these sites, so they may even pick up your latest ;) After all, you sent them the latest hipnc files, right?)

I'll probably be at siggraph. I'll almost certainly be at the sidefx meeting. I hear it's gonna be sweet.

B)

Jens

Hey Guys,

Very Cool Jens I am going to be at that meeting. Here are some passes I did that I throughout because you can see why I did not take them. He was just not showing up well on the passes. So I am going to render it all out on the Linux in one pass. I get much better results for some reason with him showing up in one pass but that is too much ram for windows. Linux is much better at handling the ram so it is not even close to being a problem on there. Here are the passes. Good idea Jens about Sidefx I will defantly post the good render from linux. I may have it done by tomarrow. I think the system will be setup by then. lol

BonesPass_01.jpg

:angry:

BonesPass_02.jpg

:o

Cheers, :ph34r::huh::blink:

Nate Nesler

Hey All,

Jens you are so right! I did use the Mandril. I was laughing everytime I posted because no one seemed to catch that. lol It was the first thing I got rid of and then I ended up using the Mandril because it had a nice color spread. Well the problem was I turned the refraction down on my characters skin when I was trying to see the bones after I had split the files apart. When I merged the files back together I forgot that I had done that. I needed to have had the linux running. So this is the same file just changed the refraction, and I think I zoomed the camera some. That is the only changes, otherwise; its the same file that I sent Sidefx.

CyberDudeNWorldShip_01.jpg

here is the tif version.

CyberDude

Cheers,

Nate Nesler :ph34r::blink::);):huh:

Cool dude.

I think the skin could still use some work. I really like the modeling you did on the skeleton, and a lot of that get's lost in the refraction. Also, you should come up with some kind of nice composition to really make him work in the spaceship. Right now I feel like I can't really tell the scale of this ship in reference to him. Maybe if we see his whole body standing in the ship, or maybe some of him interacting with a part of the ship, we'd get a nice sense of the large scale of the ship (at least I always imagined it as being huge).

:)

Cheers,

Jens

• 2 months later...

Hey Jens,

Well I am back on the this project again. I am making this my senior project for my advanced animation class. So I am going to make that other character and then have them fight it out. I am going to scale him down as you suggested. I agree I do need to work on those shaders some more. To say the least I am a bit frustrated with them at the moment. I am going to hit the modeling again and hopefully I can get the shading I want this time around. I think I am going to give myself about a month to render. Month to model/shade/ month to animate and a month to render. Sounds like a good schedule to me. Oh Jens I tried to find you at the Houdini meeting at Siggraph 2003 but I was unable to locate you. There was a lot of people there. Well I guess you saw Shade's and my images on the CD. SideFx did not even tell me they were putting me on there. I did not even realise I was on there until after the meeting was well over. lol To say the least I was a bit shocked. Oh and congrats to Shade for being on there too :);) I really hope he finishes that palace. It was really starting to look good.

Cheers,

Nate Nesler

:)

Hey MatrixNAN,

The render is coming along nicely. How will the other character look like? Similarly glass shaded. I'm looking forward to seeing the fight animation :)

I was very surprised to find out that my entry was featured on the CD. Too bad I can't see how it looks printed. Hey MatrixNAN, wonder if it is possible if you could scan the CD cover for me to check out?

I've been busy with projects at work so havn't done anything new with the palace. I'll probably continue with it next month or so this time involving some character animations.

cheers,

shade.

Hey Shade,

Yeah I have no problem scanning the CD cover in for you. I will post it here. I have just moved into a new apartment and I am trying to get my DSL in so I am not sure when I can post it. The other character will not be transparent at all. I will try taking digital photos of my sketches and then post them on here. He is more alien looking. Sort of like dinosaur skin with the Aliens texture to it. Although his body form does not really resemble the Aliens. Instead I am thinking maybe some like rotting flesh like holes in his body and lots of little barbs and hooks of bone. Sharp teeth long forked tounge. Tounge will be a dark color but not red. I am going to see if I can not figure out how to write volumetric shaders. I have several books on it now.

Cheers,

Nate Nesler

P.S. Tell me when you finish that palace because I want to see it. You are really good at the shaders. :)B)

• 2 weeks later...