Anyone else have problems with imported NURBS models converting to par

rd1010

This problem is baffling me and starting to get discouraging.. I use another software to do NURBS modeling as this is not houdini's strongest point and I can do much better models in other programs. When I import these models that started out as NURBS (have tried it either as poly .obj, .3ds, fbx or as nurbs igs) I am unable to convert the object to particles or to use it as a solid body in a particle simulation.

When I click convert to particles it just keeps cooking but never finishes.. with objects that started as poly it works after not very long.

Also, these are not all that complex of models and I have tried making them as low poly as possible (after converting to obj, 3ds, fbx, etc)

I don't know what to do as this is important to make the things I want to make with particles.. would appreciate any input from anyone who may have also had this issue.

edit: I have tried making the nurbs models in different programs including rhinoceros and moi.. I am pretty sure this problem is true for a nurbs model created in any software besides houdini.

Edited by rd1010

Here are 2 geometry files, both originally from a NURBS model from a program called Moi. The main thing that this is causing problems for me is not being able to use these objects as a rigid body in a particle simulation.

http://siliconvalley1-odesk.s3.amazonaws.com/bowl.obj

http://siliconvalley1-odesk.s3.amazonaws.com/bowl.igs (click save as to save as the object file type)

For example, putting a sphere of liquid above it and having it fall onto it.. either it won't cook it (just takes for ever never completes) or it will act like it has and then the fluid will just pass through like its not there.

I'd post a hid file but I'm using the apprentice version so not sure it would work for others.

Edited by rd1010

This is bad geometry, it has double caps (noting will fall inside it is closed), deleted all 4 caps, yes they are doubled, and used capSOP to add proper caps, this way a proper sdf can be generated for it, this is for rbd.

To have particle fluids fall into it, you have to add thickness, if you dont have thickness, sdf cannot be generated.

Thanks.. yeah I forgot to delete the caps but I had been deleting it in tests in houdini so that wasn't the issue itself.. thanks, the thickness is what I was leaving out then.. that helps a lot so I will try again and hopefully it will work for me.