Hot off the press ... win64 binary

eloop

Hi guys,

I've made quite a bit of progress towards being able to build binary distributions. I've also finally got win64 behaving. I'd like brave souls to pull down the following and give it a test ...

hotbin_win64_H10.0.374.zip

The easiest way to install is to setup the following two env vars (See My Computer>Properties>Advanced>Environment Variables). I'm assuming you've unzipped directly into the c: directory, you'll need to modify the following accordingly.

HOUDINI_PATH c:/hotbin_win64_H10.0.374;&

PATH c:/hotbin_win64_H10.0.374/dlls

Note: Don't nuke your PATH if it already exists, add the above entry with a ";" between the entries. Example files are included in the archive, they should all work. Please post your experiences (yay or nay) in this thread.

-Drew

Ummm I think I love you. Gonna set up now and try to test. Thanks for the work done.

Edit: Hmm I may be slightly retarded since I haven't been here in a bit, and thus have forgotten all about this. Now, the example files work just fine when i call them up (So I'm guessing I installed it right)...

...but what's the process of calling on the ocean from within a new scene, again?

Edited by CodeBreak

Start by studying the sop_simple.hip example which illustrates the basic concepts. The vop and vex functionality requires a lower level understanding of shaders etc.

-Drew

Ummm I think I love you. Gonna set up now and try to test. Thanks for the work done.

Edit: Hmm I may be slightly retarded since I haven't been here in a bit, and thus have forgotten all about this. Now, the example files work just fine when i call them up (So I'm guessing I installed it right)...

...but what's the process of calling on the ocean from within a new scene, again?

Start by studying the sop_simple.hip example which illustrates the basic concepts. The vop and vex functionality requires a lower level understanding of shaders etc.

-Drew

No it's not that. I studied that I understand how to work with the node.

It's just that when starting a new scene, I can't call upon the HOT. I can only do it if I've opened up one of the given scenes first. Opening one of those THEN puts it into the nodes list. But, if I start a scene from scratch (Opening Houdini), and then start to create the HOT...it's not there. I'm typing in "ocean" by the way, not HOT lol.

Is there a specific place I need to put the given files, or is all I have to do is reference it's location in the environment variables? Because I've already placed the folder in C:hotbin_win64_H10.0.374, and I referenced that location in the Env Var PATH and HOUDINI_PATH. Is there anything else I needed to do besides that?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am using Houdini 10.0.374 64 bit with this. I tried coping the dsos to the houdini directory and the icons, but when I tried to launch Houdini I got a message saying that they are from a different build

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEVERMIND...I had to restart my system. Houdini found it and it seems to be working flawlessly.

Edited by CodeBreak

I'm away from a windows machine now so I'll have to check it tomorrow. From memory it's called "Ocean" in the SOP tab menu. BTW check you did put the ";&" at the end of the HOUDINI_PATH, even though it looks like a typo... Besides that everything should be in place, but you are probably the first person to test this new, hopefully simpler, style of installation.

-Drew

No it's not that. I studied that I understand how to work with the node.

It's just that when starting a new scene, I can't call upon the HOT. I can only do it if I've opened up one of the given scenes first. Opening one of those THEN puts it into the nodes list. But, if I start a scene from scratch (Opening Houdini), and then start to create the HOT...it's not there. I'm typing in "ocean" by the way, not HOT lol.

Is there a specific place I need to put the given files, or is all I have to do is reference it's location in the environment variables? Because I've already placed the folder in C:\hotbin_win64_H10.0.374, and I referenced that location in the Env Var PATH and HOUDINI_PATH. Is there anything else I needed to do besides that?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I'd follow your step to build HOT, but I failed.

There is an error here.

4676003_b85b063d41cd7616b90b05d415c78071.jpg

What should I do?

I set EnvVar and I check for many times, they're right.(including HOUDINI_PATH, PATH and ";&")

I also re-install VS2005 and Houdini10.401, all set like yours.

But it still failed.

I create a new houdini scene, and press "TAB", try to find "Ocean" node and find nothing related with it.

Can you tell me more details?

Can you make a pciture by picture tutorial for us? (Vidoe is better, but I don't dare ask you to make it.)

I try to build HOT in my system(WinXP x64) for long time...really disappointed at myself.