Motion Effects - Cool but

I'm working on a wing animation and quickly want to loop it. in xsi i would set the curve to cycle and whatever the curve lools like it would cycle it, regardless the start or endpoint is changed. now what would be the best to do it in houdini. motion effects seem good at the first but it seems that when You put a motion effect on a animation the animation is copied into chops and the exported. but that means from now on I have to edit my copy in the chops channel node. a older version is still there, overriden at the object level. is there a faster way of cycling an animation? maybe without chops, just on the curve level?

Martin

I'm working on a wing animation and quickly want to loop it. in xsi i would set the curve to cycle and whatever the curve lools like it would cycle it, regardless the start or endpoint is changed. now what would be the best to do it in houdini. motion effects seem good at the first but it seems that when You put a motion effect on a animation the animation is copied into chops and the exported. but that means from now on I have to edit my copy in the chops channel node. a older version is still there, overriden at the object level. is there a faster way of cycling an animation? maybe without chops, just on the curve level?

Martin

Cheers sanostol,

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but if you pop up a channel editor (previously scoping your curves), you can still edit your key framed animation while overwritten by chops with motionfx... Is that what you're after?

Edited by SYmek

hi SYmek,

You are right, when I scope a overriden parameter I can edit it and see the change in the cycled curve, but this is not the source curve, as soon as You mute the override or delete the motion effects all the edits are gone. because I work on a copy of the original only. at least that`s how it seems to work here. as soon as I add a motion effect a channelCHOP is created that has a copy of my original curve on it, and from now on my edits go there. but I think I only have to get used to it

Martin

PS: After working a bit with the cycle motion effects, I must say it is quite unstable. lot of crahes when You change the start and end of the range.

Cheers sanostol,

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but if you pop up a channel editor (previously scoping your curves), you can still edit your key framed animation while overwritten by chops with motionfx... Is that what you're after?

Edited by sanostol