Feathers with overlapping radius

mutiny33

Hello,

This is my first post and first time using Houdini so thanks in advance for checking my question out:

I have a NURBS character made up of individual patches that I would like to model feathers on. I know I can do this with a scatter sop and copy stamping but I would like something with more control.

I would like to place 30 or so feathers of certain sizes in key locations on the character and have the copies in between blend into those sizes as they approach the key locations.

I would also like to designate an overlap attribute so I can have denser locations in areas where the feathers are smaller and less dense locations as they grow to the larger feathered areas.

My best guess was to come up with a system where I paint the character with a gradient texture map so I could designate what areas get more density particles and larger feathers given the value of the map. I'm not familiar with how to do this in Houdini. I don't mind getting into some code so shoot away!

Hello,

This is my first post and first time using Houdini so thanks in advance for checking my question out:

I have a NURBS character made up of individual patches that I would like to model feathers on. I know I can do this with a scatter sop and copy stamping but I would like something with more control.

I would like to place 30 or so feathers of certain sizes in key locations on the character and have the copies in between blend into those sizes as they approach the key locations.

I would also like to designate an overlap attribute so I can have denser locations in areas where the feathers are smaller and less dense locations as they grow to the larger feathered areas.

My best guess was to come up with a system where I paint the character with a gradient texture map so I could designate what areas get more density particles and larger feathers given the value of the map. I'm not familiar with how to do this in Houdini. I don't mind getting into some code so shoot away!

you could use a scatter sop and scatter based on a "scale" attribute which you paint on your bird via a paint SOP. Would also be ideal to paint other attributes which are stored in each point, such as how much 'lift' each feather has from the surface, the orientation/dir, the curl each feather has, etc. Depending on how many feathers you have on your bird...if its a full feathered bird, you will probably have somewhere in the area of 12k-18k feathers, the copy/stamp method could get slow so it would be ideal to contol the feather attributes such as orientation and scale via "up vector/Normal", and "pscale" since the copy sop looks for those attributes by default and you wouldnt have to use stamp().

Here is a tutorial that may be worth looking at.

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=879&Itemid=132