Fire Whirl Project

marQiemarQ

Hey guys,

I am in the conceptual phase of a school project that I'm starting next Monday. I've recently been doing a "LOT" of research on tornadoes and I stumbled across an amazing natural phenomenon called a Fire Whirl. A Fire Whirl is essentially a tornado made of fire, a rare phenomenon that occurs mostly in forest fires. My plan for the project is to start out with a tornado that goes over a sea of flames, which causes the fire to become engulfed in the wind. I want this project to come out really strong. With that said, does anyone have any suggestions on how I could even further improve the idea? I'm open to any suggestions...

Here is some reference footage that I plan to use:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1hczOv4DeI

Hey guys,

I am in the conceptual phase of a school project that I'm starting next Monday. I've recently been doing a "LOT" of research on tornadoes and I stumbled across an amazing natural phenomenon called a Fire Whirl. A Fire Whirl is essentially a tornado made of fire, a rare phenomenon that occurs mostly in forest fires. My plan for the project is to start out with a tornado that goes over a sea of flames, which causes the fire to become engulfed in the wind. I want this project to come out really strong. With that said, does anyone have any suggestions on how I could even further improve the idea? I'm open to any suggestions...

Hey marQiemarQ, I see your going to SCAD. I'm assuming that this is for the particles class and not the first houndini class. I would recommend using pops over fluids. I had someone show me this forum post a while ago, this might help you getting started with the tornado motion.

As for the fire I think it would be easier to use metaballs for the fire. Will you be going over the fire x-ray shader in class? If so thats actually a great shader to use. I'll see if I can find my fire .hip file from that class. Also for the smoke, if you plan or have enough time sprites would work perfect.

However, you could also use the particles to drive a DOPS fire simulation. I'm working on a personal project using that right now, using the popnet to drive the fluid smoke. I'll post the fire hip file as soon as I find it. Hope these suggestion help.

Here's an example of how the fire xray shader looks.

http://www.profwiz.com/2008/05/jason-fughs-hand-on-fire/

Hey marQiemarQ, I see your going to SCAD. I'm assuming that this is for the particles class and not the first houndini class. I would recommend using pops over fluids. I had someone show me this forum post a while ago, this might help you getting started with the tornado motion.

As for the fire I think it would be easier to use metaballs for the fire. Will you be going over the fire x-ray shader in class? If so thats actually a great shader to use. I'll see if I can find my fire .hip file from that class. Also for the smoke, if you plan or have enough time sprites would work perfect.

However, you could also use the particles to drive a DOPS fire simulation. I'm working on a personal project using that right now, using the popnet to drive the fluid smoke. I'll post the fire hip file as soon as I find it. Hope these suggestion help.

Here's an example of how the fire xray shader looks.

http://www.profwiz.com/2008/05/jason-fughs-hand-on-fire/

I've taken the Houdini particles class and now I'm taking Studio II. Did you take Ronald Bernard in Savannah? I took Clarke Stallworth in Atlanta for my Houdini classes. Thanks for your input, I will look into these examples! Question: I know that DOPS can be used to drive a particle simulation, but how can I use particles to drive a DOPS fire simulation?

I've taken the Houdini particles class and now I'm taking Studio II. Did you take Ronald Bernard in Savannah? I took Clarke Stallworth in Atlanta for my Houdini classes. Thanks for your input, I will look into these examples! Question: I know that DOPS can be used to drive a particle simulation, but how can I use particles to drive a DOPS fire simulation?

Yeah, I took the class with Ron in Savannah. Here's the link that I used as a reference for my project to use pop to drive the simulation.

Let me know if this helps. Also I have a breakdown on how I use it for what I'm working on. Its not that tachnical yet, but I should have some more stuff soon.

http://www.afughanimations.blogspot.com/

-jason

If you would want to go with fluids you can probably get that fluid whirl look using some custom fields.

I can't remember if I included that demo file with the tangent velocity in the downloads section (I think I did), but this might help you too. It is not really beginner stuff though:

http://nccastaff.bournemouth.ac.uk/jmacey/MastersProjects/MSc09/Claes/index.html

• 2 weeks later...

I've started roughing in the basic tornado movement for this project. What I did was used the particle to field DOP to allow particles to emit fluid smoke. I am also using a vortex force in DOPs to help drive the motion of the fluid smoke. Here are a few test flipbook renders of what I have so far.

Tornado_Flipbook_Test_V1.mov

Tornado_Flipbook_Test_V2.mov