Moving lights? Doesn't seem to work

rd1010

This is something thats bothered me for a while in houdini but I never got around to asking about it... it seems you can't move lights around within the scene? I mean, I know how to move the light object (by diving into the object and then highlighting it) and then I can move it around in the viewport but it never changes the effect of the light, it just stays in its initial position as far as how it shades the object.... I would appreciate if anyone can explain to me the proper procedure for moving a light, such as an area light. Thanks

This is something thats bothered me for a while in houdini but I never got around to asking about it... it seems you can't move lights around within the scene? I mean, I know how to move the light object (by diving into the object and then highlighting it) and then I can move it around in the viewport but it never changes the effect of the light, it just stays in its initial position as far as how it shades the object.... I would appreciate if anyone can explain to me the proper procedure for moving a light, such as an area light. Thanks

Moving lights around is quite straight forward, click on the light in the viewport and move. The only thing that comes to mind why you do not see the openGL shaded view update is that you have "Use headlight insted of object lights". Make sure its turned off. The button is on the right hand column of the viewport, 3rd down from the top.

Another way to position your lights is you can drag the light from your network editor into the viewport and "lock camera/light to view", right column > 2nd button from top. Then you can move the light as you are looking through it.

Edited by SpencerL

I thought it would be straightforward too but I'm getting some very strange results when I try to move lights, also I have to dive into the light object to be able to move it, when I try to just select the object (like a normal piece of geometry) it never gives the move option... I will see if I can put together a file that shows the problem I'm having as it is seeming very strange to me, for example I'll place a light inside a box and then move it completely outside and it still even shows just as if it were in the original place (on the renders)

Edited by rd1010