Importing inkscape .eps files.

crunch

Recently, I ran into a case where I wanted to import line art generated in inkscape into Houdini.

I tried saving .eps, but geps wouldn't parse the .eps generated by inkscape.

This little Python program did the trick for me though, so I thought I'd share it. It uses the little known .d format (which makes it really easy).

#!/usr/bin/python

import sys, os

def parseEPS(ifp, ofp):
    for line in ifp.readlines():
        args = line.split()
        if len(args) == 3:
            if args[2] == 'moveto':
                ofp.write('m %s %s 0\n' % (args[0], args[1]))
            elif args[2] == 'lineto':
                ofp.write('d %s %s 0\n' % (args[0], args[1]))

parseEPS( sys.stdin, sys.stdout )

It just reads from stdin and writes to stdout. You could probably easily turn this into something more useful. Example usage:

% eps2d < foo.eps > foo.d

It's not rocket science, but I thought I'd share.

• 1 year later...

Hey guys. I´m trying to import Illustrator files, but I have no success at all, it first just gave me an error, sying that it could´t import the geo, but then I tried some stuff, read in the help etc, remebered the old Maya trick, that I had to save it as a illustrator v10.

Now I get the geo in, but I can´t visualize it.

Do you guys have any settings for saving out illustrator files that you could share? Like if there´s a special thing that you should tick in or something.

When I try with .eps, it gives me an error, but with .ai, i somehow get the file in, but can´t see it.

Thanks guys.

Awsome tutorials for Houdini by the way (pulverize effects and autofence).

Cheers

//Anders

Hey guys. I´m trying to import Illustrator files, but I have no success at all, it first just gave me an error, sying that it could´t import the geo, but then I tried some stuff, read in the help etc, remebered the old Maya trick, that I had to save it as a illustrator v10.

Now I get the geo in, but I can´t visualize it.

Do you guys have any settings for saving out illustrator files that you could share? Like if there´s a special thing that you should tick in or something.

When I try with .eps, it gives me an error, but with .ai, i somehow get the file in, but can´t see it.

Thanks guys.

Awsome tutorials for Houdini by the way (pulverize effects and autofence).

Cheers

//Anders

Thanks Anders, I always export it as .ai version 8, if you want to used more recent versions uncheck the use compression flag, using compression sucks

hope that helps