Using 2D images on shapes without rendering the usual way (since it de

rd1010

I have 2D images that I want to put onto a 3D object, basically its like a sticker where it conforms to the object's shape. However, when I do this within my scene and take a render it seems to end up degrading the quality of the original image. (this makes sense since its essentially like taking a photo of a photo) I'm wondering if there is a way that I can just pass through an image to the compositing stage while keeping it the same size, position as if it were wrapped on the object. I hope what I'm saying is making sense.. would appreciate any advice.

Edited by rd1010

Hi Rick,

I don't know if Houdini's compositor is capable of using this technic, but Shake has the ability to take in a UV render pass (Which is just a color pass, holding the uv coordinates of an object) and project an image on to that. The mean thing is, that Shake distorts the projected image according to the movement of the object. So basically it seems like the composited images moves along with the object.

I don't know how Shake does this under the hood, but I can imagine it has something to do with pixel flow.

Hi Rick,

I don't know if Houdini's compositor is capable of using this technic, but Shake has the ability to take in a UV render pass (Which is just a color pass, holding the uv coordinates of an object) and project an image on to that. The mean thing is, that Shake distorts the projected image according to the movement of the object. So basically it seems like the composited images moves along with the object.

I don't know how Shake does this under the hood, but I can imagine it has something to do with pixel flow.

i did this in fusion once and have to say its far from superior to actual texture on geometry rendering. the precision is much lower even with 16-32 bit depth so in my opinion its more a feature-list feature then actually useable..

Hi Rick,

you can do it in COP's using Distort COP, it is basically just texture look up.

Thanks for the responses, I will have to look into those things but for now I guess its simplest to just try increasing the shader quality, not sure if I had tried it but maybe I was distorting the image too or forgot to reduce the specular on the decal