Water V1 By Stevenong

Hi Bernard,

It is a Vex SOP that deforms a grid with sine & cosine expressions but it does not remotely resemble an ocean surface. Then again, it might just work. ;)

I'll try to convert the file into a Houdini Digital Asset (HDA) which you can then install easily. I'll also post an example hip file.

Cheers!

steven

Hi Bernard,

I've attached a zip file that contains both the hip file & HDA (water.otl). To use the Vex SOP, go to File -> Install Operator Type Library..., search for the water.otl by clicking on the "+" button & change "Install Library To:" to $HOME/houdini7.0 which will make it available everytime you start Houdini.

Here's an image I rendered with the attached hip file.

water.zip

post-158-1118708730_thumb.jpg

Hi Bernard,

I've attached a zip file that contains both the hip file & HDA (water.otl). To use the Vex SOP, go to File -> Install Operator Type Library..., search for the water.otl by clicking on the "+" button & change "Install Library To:" to $HOME/houdini7.0 which will make it available everytime you start Houdini.

18755[/snapback]

Thanks Steven

• 1 year later...
Hi Bernard,

Hi Steven,

This is very cool.

I've loaded the file and rendered it, and I'm wondering what's making the teapot "bob" up and down ? I dont' see any keyframes and don't see any kind of connection between the teapot and the water object. Was the animation "baked" into the teapot somewhow ?

How can I get another object to interact with the deformation of the water?

Is there way to use an animation constraint / expression to make an object's center follow the deformation of the water object ?

Mike

Hi Bernard,

Hello,

I've installed the OTL in Houdini 8.1, but I get an error (red flag, saying "Invalid Source 0").

There is no input on this SOP, only a output...

many thanks,

bernard

I've installed the OTL in Houdini 8.1, but I get an error (red flag, saying "Invalid Source 0").

There is no input on this SOP, only a output...

Houdini 8.1.?????? (what sub-version ? ... not that I'm sure it will make a difference).

I installed it on 8.1.704 (Windows) and it's working fine for the demo file.

Mike

Houdini 8.1.?????? (what sub-version ? ... not that I'm sure it will make a difference).

I installed it on 8.1.704 (Windows) and it's working fine for the demo file.

Mike

Hello,

H 8.1.712, demo hip works. Loading OTL alone gives an error (I see no input on the SOP when using tab>geometry> i > delete file1 node , then tab > water ,...)

thanks

Hello,

H 8.1.712, demo hip works. Loading OTL alone gives an error (I see no input on the SOP when using tab>geometry> i > delete file1 node , then tab > water ,...)

thanks

Ahh !...... I just tried adding the SOP and I'm seeing two different SOPs, one called 'water' under the Generators, and another called VEX Water under the Filters. The VEX Water one does have an input.

Mike

** EDIT*

Ok, just did some more "digging".

There are two SOP's in the water.otl

"water" seems to be an older version of the SOP, with the only difference that I can see, the missing input connection :)

The demo file is using the VEX Water SOP, not the "water" SOP.

You can delete the 'water' sop using the OTL-Manager.

Mike

I've loaded the file and rendered it, and I'm wondering what's making the teapot "bob" up and down ? I dont' see any keyframes and don't see any kind of connection between the teapot and the water object. Was the animation "baked" into the teapot somewhow ?

Look at AlignSOP in Teapot OBJ... ;)

Sy.

• 4 months later...