Houdini 11 opengl probs

Try setting the environment variable HOUDINI_OGL_DISABLE_FBO = 1. This will also disable color correction in the 3D viewport, but it may restore interactivity. Apple's Intel video drivers are better than Intel's own, but it's still pretty tricky to get decent performance out of most Intel GPUs.

Intel graphics aren't supported by SESI, so very little attention is given to them. Even the new Intel HD 4500 is tremendously slow with Houdini (even slower than using Software GL, ironically enough).

By the way! I've just deleted preferences in "Home" folder (after older H11 build) and viewport has started working faster. But it still slowing down performance, when I am changing material properties (e.g. color). And Houdini tells at start, "Beauty composite shader failed to compile". Maybe this is origin of problem. After changing environment variables nothing happens :( But anyway thanks for reply.

By the way! I've just deleted preferences in "Home" folder (after older H11 build) and viewport has started working faster. But it still slowing down performance, when I am changing material properties (e.g. color). And Houdini tells at start, "Beauty composite shader failed to compile". Maybe this is origin of problem. After changing environment variables nothing happens :( But anyway thanks for reply.

You can set another environment variable HOUDINI_OGL_DUMP_SHADER_ERRORS = 1 to dump the actual errors to the console. I may be able to fix the issue if I can see what the compilation error actually is.

You can set another environment variable HOUDINI_OGL_DUMP_SHADER_ERRORS = 1 to dump the actual errors to the console. I may be able to fix the issue if I can see what the compilation error actually is.

Setting of environment variable does not help :( I launched Houdini by terminal, it writes

Warning: program compiled against libxml 207 using older 206
Unable to link glGetShaderSourceARB

P.S. Could you tell me, where is reference for environment variables? I can't find it in documentation.

Setting of environment variable does not help :( I launched Houdini by terminal, it writes

Warning: program compiled against libxml 207 using older 206
Unable to link glGetShaderSourceARB

Hm, looks like the driver is missing an API entry point for that shader function, though I'm unsure if it would be causing the problems you'd mentioned. The XML message is unrelated.

P.S. Could you tell me, where is reference for environment variables? I can't find it in documentation.

The standalone hconfig app will list all the variables and their documentation if run as "hconfig -H", or documentation for a specific variable via "hconfig -h <envname>".

This is fixed in tomorrow's build, 11.0.462. The problem affected DX9-class hardware (such as the Quadro x500 series, GEforce 7x00 & 6x00, ATI X800/600/300, X1800/1600/1300). I believe you can work around it by enabling HQ Lighting in the meantime.

Ok Mark, confirmed, all working great, thanks.

post-1182-128093745199_thumb.jpg

Hm, looks like the driver is missing an API entry point for that shader function, though I'm unsure if it would be causing the problems you'd mentioned. The XML message is unrelated.

The standalone hconfig app will list all the variables and their documentation if run as "hconfig -H", or documentation for a specific variable via "hconfig -h <envname>".

So! I had updated my Leopard to the Snow Leopard, and all problems are gone. No more any compiling errors. In viewport settings "material shaders" checkbox is enabled, and viewport interaction as quick as it was in Houdini 10. I think that is because in the Snow Leopard OpenGL Drivers are newer than in the Leopard.

A question for all of you: but does Houdini crashes if you start a Mantra render?

Just create a simple scene (a grid, a spot, a camera) with a Mantra render node and start the render.

Thanks.

Do you know which application is crashing? Houdini, mantra (renderer) or MPlay (image display)?

• 3 weeks later...

Houdini 11 always crashes when I manipulate the viewport on my OSX 10.6.4..... -.-!

I never had problems with basic workflow speed on linux, except now with H11. H10 worked well and fast on Ubuntu 10.04 with poor nvidia mx400, but when I installed H11, it's not too bad, but 2 things are annoying: Smoothing viewport lines is impossible, and navigating and operating with nodes in the network view is too damn slow - not possible to work without loosing mind - especially when operating in vex. I am considering downgrading to Ubuntu 8.10, or even to return to old good Debian etch, because i can only think of driver problem and system/Houdini integration with the driver...

Edited by drukpa

I never had problems with basic workflow speed on linux, except now with H11. H10 worked well and fast on Ubuntu 10.04 with poor nvidia mx400, but when I installed H11, it's not too bad, but 2 things are annoying: Smoothing viewport lines is impossible, and navigating and operating with nodes in the network view is too damn slow - not possible to work without loosing mind - especially when operating in vex. I am considering downgrading to Ubuntu 8.10, or even to return to old good Debian etch, because i can only think of driver problem and system/Houdini integration with the driver...

Are you referring to the GEForce2 MX400 64MB video card (circa 2001)? You could try setting the environment variable HOUDINI_OGL_DISABLE_FBO=1, and see if that helps. The card is pretty far under the H11 requirements, though. I'm a little surprised that it works at all...

Are you referring to the GEForce2 MX400 64MB video card (circa 2001)? You could try setting the environment variable HOUDINI_OGL_DISABLE_FBO=1, and see if that helps. The card is pretty far under the H11 requirements, though. I'm a little surprised that it works at all...

Yes I am referring to that specific card - don't ask about how it works - but it works - at least it worked until H11. It's plugged into an old pc used for various testings...

Thanks for the tip - I'll try with the env variable (and with other gl options).

I also found some useful suggestions on 3dbuzz:

http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showthread.php?19086-The-Houdini-Apprentice-FAQ

Edited by drukpa

• 2 months later...

Hey Guys,

So after reading through your posts, I have to ask you this. I'm a newbie to Houdini. Just downloaded the apprentice version last week. I was well on my way to Houdini bliss when I stumbled.

"mantra: Could not open imager"

Does anyone know what this is? I've been trawling between forums to figure out what this can be. There seems to be quite a few instances of this, and a variety of solutions, none of which works for me. Sample forum post link below:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&p=74632

I need to get one thing out of the way first. Is it my computer?

My system info- Dell Precision M90

Intel Core2 T7200 @ 2.00 GHz

2 GB ram

NVIDIA Quadro FX 2500M

Windows XP

Any help in this matter will be highly appreciated.

Hey Guys,

So after reading through your posts, I have to ask you this. I'm a newbie to Houdini. Just downloaded the apprentice version last week. I was well on my way to Houdini bliss when I stumbled.

"mantra: Could not open imager"

Does anyone know what this is? I've been trawling between forums to figure out what this can be. There seems to be quite a few instances of this, and a variety of solutions, none of which works for me.

Sometimes it happens to me too, especially when I render a scene.

Be sure that your firewall and ports are allowing to Houdini talking with Mantra.

Try here if it can be of any help: http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1208&Itemid=273

Or try to uninstall and re-install Houdini.