2 problems [modeling]

Tom

I have 2 basic modeling questions/problems:

1st prob:

I have sphere and torus, torus is instanced on sphere with copy node. Problem is that torus'es at sphere poles start to intersesct with each other. So i'd like to know how I can scale them down by theyre height.

2nd prob:

I have instanced spheres un geometry with copy node and i'd like to make for spheres random scale.

Scene files attached.

Thanks in advance

Tom :)

prob_1.hipnc

prob_2.hipnc

Edited by Tom

Hi,

the second scene is very nice, I don't know what is it, but I like.

Anyway, for the second problem you should use the COPY/STAMP feature in order to scale sphere, just have a look here: Tutorial Copy/stamping

For the first one, well, the first thing came to my mind was this: Creep tool

It's a two part tutorial, but I'm pretty sure the first one is what you need, anyway, give the second one a try.

Maybe you should link the big radius of the torus with the little radius, if you'll use the creep.

I'm note sure it will be so simple.

Hoping to be useful,

happy magic.

Anyway, for the second problem you should use the COPY/STAMP feature in order to scale sphere

You can achieve the same by adding a random pscale point attribute to the geometry you'll copy your sphere' to.

(Point sop, particle tab, rand($PT) or whatever in the Scale parameter)

That being said, learning copy stamping is a very good idea anyway ;)

Thanks thinkinmonkey! Solved 2nd prob.

About 1st prob, it worked, but torus'es lost they're ring shape.

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/4670/torusspherecreep.png

I just want to create medieval chain shirt ( dont know how its correctly called) and just did some rnd with sphere and torus.

http://thevikingweaponsstore.com/images/Riveted_Aluminum_Chainmail_Shirt.jpg

Going to check some expression tutorials and documentation, maybe i'll found something useful.

eetu, tried your way but it didnt worked :(, but still thanks, ill try later again.

Edited by Tom

Thanks to my girlfriend, who made a little piece of chainmail, I've done this according her directions.

I hope it could help you.

According to us, it's quite difficult to have a chainmail wrapping around a sphere, well, you should scale down the upper/bottom rings, but it will be a nice/hard job to do, maybe you could try to use with a subdivided cube instead of a sphere.

maglia.hipnc

Actually i dont need so much that sphere, I just wanted to know if there is some way how to doit (simple/easy way)

Created simple shirt in maya (its just faster for me) and played around with copy node. Created simple expression, that controls torus radius based on shirt mesh subdivision. Still not enough good.

Result is in attachment.

chain_maglia.zip

Edited by Tom