HOT for Houdini 13

abramov-cg

Also wanted to jump on the thanks bandwagon - the Digital Tutors tutorial on the HOT is one of the first things I ever tried with Houdini. Compiling it made me feel like a king. All the XSI guys in the other room pretty jealous and wanted me to make them displacement shaders (which I couldn't figure out how to do). And then the Maya Houdini Ocean Toolkit? That's some OG Houdini Engine right there. And, of course, it's a huge honor to have your work efforts picked up by SESI.

I'd say the Houdini Ocean Toolkit is directly responsible for sparking my interest in Houdini. So, thanks Drew. I'll see if I can dig up any first ghetto-assed renders I might have done.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You're right; it doesn't compile easily.

There is still a good reason to use HOT these days, and it's for the nice, convenient VEXop; H13 doesn't quite have the equivalent, so you're left with tiling Ocean Evaluate SOP-generated displacement maps in order to generate wide / large-scale shots. It's doable, but the VEXop was nice and convenient.

At R+H we still use our (own) VEXop for most open-ocean shots; and we hope SESI can close this gap some day :)

Thanks Drew for your all your hard work on HOT!

• 8 months later...

You're right; it doesn't compile easily.

There is still a good reason to use HOT these days, and it's for the nice, convenient VEXop; H13 doesn't quite have the equivalent, so you're left with tiling Ocean Evaluate SOP-generated displacement maps in order to generate wide / large-scale shots. It's doable, but the VEXop was nice and convenient.

At R+H we still use our (own) VEXop for most open-ocean shots; and we hope SESI can close this gap some day :)

Thanks Drew for your all your hard work on HOT!

Have you tried to compile it?